This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help unpacking madwifi-0.9.4

I have downloaded madwifi-0.9.4 on my internet connected computer and copied it to ~/temp on my wifes non-internet connected computer. On the madwifi website, it appears as a tar.gz file. The instructions are to unpack it. However, the madwifi file appears as a directory in /temp and has lost the tat.gz extension. Using arc it appears to have other directories inside it and arc reports "This file appears to be of type inode/directory which is not a supported archive format. In order to proceed, please choose the format of the file." I chose archive zip and get "an error occurred while trying to open the archive". I tried several other formats and got blank screens showing no contents. tar -xzvf reports "cannot read: is a directory" and other error messages. What can I do from here?

Re: Need help unpacking madwifi-0.9.4

The downloaded .tar.gz file is 3.5MB in size. Opening the file with Arc, one just selects Action > Extract. If you don't opt to extract 'some other place,' then the extraction will be to the same location that the .tar.gz file is located in. In your case, ~/temp. In that directory you should find a folder called madwifi-0.9.4 and in that folder, other subfolders. In the ~/temp/madwifi-0.9.4/tools/man subfolder you find the INSTALL file which contains the instructions for building the driver. Are you following these instructions?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Bringing up madwifi in arc, extract is greyed out. What now?

Comment

That implies that there may/is something wrong with the file you downloaded. But first, what version of Kubuntu are you running? Second, is the downloaded file the correct size? How did you 'copy' it to your wife's PC?
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My wife's running 8.04 and tar.gz file is the right size. I extracted via terminal and everything seemed to go ok. I am now going to follow instructions on website. Thanks.

Comment

I am now having trouble following instructions. Hoping that you might be knowledgeable about madwifi, here is what is happening. I first set all madwifi devices down using ifconfig. They were ath0,eth0,lo, and wifi0. As requested, I then ran ./madwifi-unload.bash in scripts subdir. I got
            Fatal: module wlan_scan_sta is in use
            Fatal: Module wlan is in use
            I then ran ifconfig in terminal and saw that ath0 showed up again. I then repeated ifconfig command to set ath0 down and repeated bash command which gave the same FATAL errors On google, lots of people seem to get these errors, and some have proceeded with make. Is this safe and could I recover if anything goes wrong?:
            1) Should I try

Comment

Working...
            X