This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Verizon Wireless National Access - how to use it

I have a Verizon USB720 national access card, it's the type that uses the cell towers and works quite nicely on windows and I can even get broadband way out here in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone know how I can use this product on Kubuntu?

Re: Verizon Wireless National Access - how to use it

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/27/v...-up-to-sprint/
    According to this you set it up as a modem, check it out.

Comment

And how would I go about setting it up as a modem?

Comment

Easiest way is to set it up in kppp. This is in no way a real how-to, but this is how I just set one up. Open up kppp and click on configure. Go to the modems tab and add the device as a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0. Then go to the accounts tab and set up a new account. Put anything in the username/password field (worked for me but some have claimed they needed their vzw username and password) and use #777 as the number. Uncheck detect dialtone. Close kppp. Then type:

kdesu kate /etc/ppp/options

Or use your favorite text editor with root permissions. Look for these two lines and comment them both out:

lcp-echo-interval 30
        lcp-echo-failure 4

Should be about line 223 and 232 or so. Save it and open kppp. Select your new account and new modem and click connect. That is all there is to it. Hope it works for you as easily as it did for me.

As a side note, the cdrom that came with the modem actually has a howto in the docs folder for a few distros of linux using both wvdial and kppp.

namopereht

Comment

Re: Verizon Wireless National Access - how to use it - solved

I did what you said namopereht and it's working nicely. Thank you that's exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Glad to help.

namopereht

Comment

This was working nicely on Gutsy but I just installed Hardy and haven't got it to work. Kppp dials and appears to log in but when it's logged in I have no access to the internet. In Hardy kppp has more setting options. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work?

Comment

I noticed when logged into Verizon through kppp I do have limited access to the internet. Synaptic is able to download packages and google earth works. But Firefox and Konqueror are unable to connect to the web. Konqueror will connect to ftp though. How can I get them to connect to the web?

Comment

I got Firefox to work but when it first starts up it says it is in offline mode (only when using verizon). One way I found to put it in online mode is to go to tools > add-ons > then at the bottom of the window it opens I click on Find Updates and then it gives me an option to go to online mode. After I do that Firefox connects to the web and works nicely. The problem is I have to do this every time I open Firefox. Is there an easier way to put it in online mode or even better get to open automatically in online mode the way it does when using other internet connections?

Comment

Working...
                  X