This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with wireless connection via dlink DWL-G520

Just installed 8.04 on my wife's computer and am trying to get internet connection. It has a dlink DWL-G520 PCI wireless adaptor which is designed to interact with the dlink wireless router connected to the internet and my computer. Some googling has led me to The MadWiFi website for drivers for this card, There is a madwifi-tools package available via adept on my Gutsy computer but nothing shows up on her computer. Am I out of luck or can I install it on my computer and then put it on a flash drive to port up to her compute? I suppose getting drivers is only the beginning of a long story.

Re: Need help with wireless connection via dlink DWL-G520

I have Hardy. Madwifi-tools is available through repository. Do you have Synaptic Package Manager? Do a Search for madwifi-tools.

What happens if you connect to the internet and input to Konsole Terminal Program:
    sudo apt-get install madwifi-tools
    ?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

The problem is that her computer is not connected to the internet and that is what I am trying to achieve. Is the repository on the 8.04 disk or on the internet? When I use adept and type in madwifi, adept gives nothing. When I type in synaptic, it also gives me nothing so it seems I am stuck

Comment

Have a look at APTonCD as mentioned at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/APTonCD , or a bit more complicated, "Install Applications in Ubuntu without Internet " at http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=13
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

After installing 8.04 I had huge problems to get my dwl-g510 card working..
          tried several things.. worked once for half an hour thereafter nothing..

After 2 months of annoyance > a friend suggested to install the NDISWRAPPER for wireless network cards.. It can interface with the windowsXP drivers that come with the card.
          I downloaded the package using ADEPT installed.. and using the graphical interface i installed the .inf file for my card.
          It worked almost instantly and now 2 months after upgrading i can use my wireless card finally again..

Comment

Working...
          X