This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Driver Problems..

I am pretty new to Kubuntu (KDE), my friend talked me into getting it, but I'm having a little trouble.

I'm trying to enable my Nvidia Card, I've tried installing jockey-gtk 0.3.3-0ubuntu8 but this is what comes up when I try to enable it:

Code:
    gohan@TRL:~$ jockey-gtk 0.3.3-0ubuntu8
    Not loading nvidia_legacy module; not used in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    WARNING: /sys/module/nvidia_legacy/drivers does not exist, cannot rebind nvidia_legacy driver
    touch: cannot touch `/var/run/reboot-required': Permission denied
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "/usr/bin/jockey-gtk", line 279, in on_handler_changed
      if self.toggle_handler(self.model[path][0]):
     File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/ui.py", line 494, in toggle_handler
      handler.enable()
     File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/jockey/xorg_driver.py", line 137, in enable
      self.xorg_conf.writeConfig(OSLib.inst.xorg_conf_path)
     File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/xorgconfig.py", line 639, in writeConfig
      fhandle = codecs.open(filename,'w',locale.getpreferredencoding())
     File "/usr/lib/python2.5/codecs.py", line 817, in open
      file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    I know I have an Nvidia Driver, because I have ran Diablo II on my computer before.=, and I haven't opened it up since, I am just trying to download Stepmania and get it to work.

Also, when I try to type in "sudo apt-get install restricted-manager", It says this:

Code:
    gohan@TRL:~$ sudo apt-get install restricted-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package restricted-manager is a virtual package provided by:
     jockey-gtk 0.3.3-0ubuntu8
    You should explicitly select one to install.
    E: Package restricted-manager has no installation candidate
    I am at a loss at what to do, any help will be nice. Thanks in advance!

Re: Nvidia Driver Problems..

i'm noob at kubuntu aswell.. but do u know wat model ur nvidia card is.

Comment

I dunno about jockey-gtk. But, I do know that Envy works pretty well for most Nvidia cards. If you want to give it a try, do the following:

1. Go to this website: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

2. Download the file under the "Get EnvyNG" purple button. Read the EnvyNG "FAQ" which will tell you how to install it (it's very simple).

3. Run Envy, and use it to install the most current Nvidia driver for your card.

The fine points of using nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings are listed in many threads on this forum -- just search.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        I dunno about jockey-gtk. But, I do know that Envy works pretty well for most Nvidia cards. If you want to give it a try, do the following:

1. Go to this website: http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

2. Download the file under the "Get EnvyNG" purple button. Read the EnvyNG "FAQ" which will tell you how to install it (it's very simple).

3. Run Envy, and use it to install the most current Nvidia driver for your card.

The fine points of using nvidia-xconfig and nvidia-settings are listed in many threads on this forum -- just search.

I'm having problems with the Nvidia driver also, when I enable the drivers, then reboot, I'm welcomed by my monitor's no signal error, then just pure black. I use the recover thing in the GRUB loader to get back up and running, but my Nvidia drivers still aren't enabled.

The website you linked is down!

EDIT- I forgot to mention, I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4 edition

Comment

Hmmm, web site is not down from my location, but it might be from yours.

Probably the splash screen resolution is what is messing up your display. You might need a "cheat code" in your kernel boot line. Depending on your display, if you highlight the "Kubuntu" line on your boot menu, and press "e" for Edit, then cursor to the right end of the line of boot options, and add with a leading space "vga=791", then Enter, then "b" for boot, it might go ahead and boot. Here are the rest of the "vga=" codes and the resolutions that they support:

http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-vga-en.htm

If "791" doesn't work, try 788 and 785. When you find the one that works, you need to add it permanently to the applicable boot line in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            Hmmm, web site is not down from my location, but it might be from yours.

Probably the splash screen resolution is what is messing up your display. You might need a "cheat code" in your kernel boot line. Depending on your display, if you highlight the "Kubuntu" line on your boot menu, and press "e" for Edit, then cursor to the right end of the line of boot options, and add with a leading space "vga=791", then Enter, then "b" for boot, it might go ahead and boot. Here are the rest of the "vga=" codes and the resolutions that they support:

http://manual.sidux.com/en/cheatcodes-vga-en.htm

If "791" doesn't work, try 788 and 785. When you find the one that works, you need to add it permanently to the applicable boot line in the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Good luck!

None of them worked

Are you able to supply a mirror for the Envy program? I want to try and see if that fixes my problem.

The thing with the black screen is that I can't do anything at it. I found an older post by you, the one that says that you should just press Ctrl Alt F1, but it doesn't do anything. I also tried typing in my password and waiting for a sound to play to see if maybe it was at a resolution my monitor didn't support.

Oh, and I have a Geforce 8600, if that helps any at all.

EDIT- The website works now! I'm going to try it out.
            EDIT2- Tried out Envy, it installed the drivers, and it actually boots into Kubuntu now, and I can get into the login screen, but when I put in my password, it shows the KDE loading progress, then everything goes black. I can move my cursor around, but I can't do anything else.

Comment

The problem that I stated above in my 2nd edit pretty much rendered my desktop unusable. Anybody around that can help out?

EDIT- Alright, I finally got rid of the drivers that Envy installed, and now I'm back where I started. Is there any way to get these drivers working?

Comment

OK, I think this is fixable (sorry I've been away). I think you need to use the nvidia-xconfig utility BEFORE you try to log into KDE. So, try this:

1. Use Envy to reinstall the Nvidia driver, by doing Ctrl-Alt F1, then shutting down the X server with
                Code:
                sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
                (or kdm-kde4 stop if you're using KDE4) followed by
                Code:
                sudo envy -t
                2. At the end of the Envy script installer, when it asks you whether you want to start the X server, you answer "no". Then, at the CLI prompt, enter this:

Code:
                sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
                This will write a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, enabling GLX and compositing.

NOW give it
                Code:
                sudo etc/init.d/kdm start
                and you should be in business.

Comment

Working...
                X