Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] The husband is asleep and I need help (need root access)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] The husband is asleep and I need help (need root access)

The subject refers to the fact that he knows more about Kubuntu than I do; at least when it has to do with the inner workings.

A few days ago, I installed kooldocks, and I know have it working the way I want to (I had to configure a few settings for it, and voilà!).

Now, I want to play with the aesthetics (the looks) of it.

I downloaded some backgrounds for it from kde-look.org and the instructions say to extract the files to the background folder for kooldocks, and then change it in the settings there.

And now we get to my problem.

I don't know (and this is probably for the best) how to extract to a folder that is owned my root.

I briefly thought about adding myself to the root group under the user setting, but I decided that was a BIG "no no" and didn't.

Can anyone help me with this please?
    I&#39;m not really here, I am a mass hallucination amongst the populace.<br />[img width=400 height=153]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll170/linuxgurl13/sig.png[/img]

Re: The husband is asleep and I need help (need root access)

Originally posted by zyxyellowxyz
    I briefly thought about adding myself to the root group under the user setting, but I decided that was a BIG "no no" and didn't.
    Good call

If you wish to do something that requires 'root' access, the trick is to start the appropiate app with root privileges.

If you want to copy files to a root owned directory, you can start your filemanager (konqueror or dolphin) as root with kdesudo, for example:
    Press Alt+F2 for the run dialog, and run
    Code:
    kdesudo 'konqueror --profile filemanagement'
    (Be careful when working as root)

Comment

Re: The husband is asleep and I need help (need root access)

Thank you! It worked. I will bookmark this page if I wish to add more backgrounds to kooldock (although I doubt I will).

All I did was move the folders and nothing else.

I know that misusing root privileges will mess up my computer, and I do not want to do that.

Thank you again for your help!
      I&#39;m not really here, I am a mass hallucination amongst the populace.<br />[img width=400 height=153]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll170/linuxgurl13/sig.png[/img]

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] The husband is asleep and I need help (need root access)

I tried this method and it didn't work. What could be wrong?

theAdmiral

Comment

Are you sure you typed the command correctly? After pressing Alt+F2 you type the following exactly:
          Code:
          kdesudo 'konqueror --profile filemanagement'
          I tried this myself, and it works. You will be prompted for your password.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry. It doesn't work.

Comment

What is the exact error message you get when trying the command?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by theAdmiral
                I tried this method and it didn't work. What could be wrong?
                Without an error message it's hard to tell (try running the command from a konsole window to see what the error is).

There's also a few things to check if the command doesn't work:
                1. Is 'kdesudo' package installed? (if it's not, install it or use kdesu instead)
                2. Are you a member of the 'admin' group? (by default only members of the admin group can run programs 'as root' with sudo/kdesudo)

Comment

Working...
                X