This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless connection problems - Solved

Hello, I am a newbie and am having great difficulty getting wireless working on Kubuntu 8.04
    I am using an acer aspire 4315 with driver netathr.inf
    I have installed both ndiswrapper apps from the repository and have installed the driver
    I can connect via a wired network, and could connect wirelessly before I reinstalled due to problems with some audio packages I installed, I just can't seem to locate the list of available wireless connections which is usually in the bottom right hand corner of the desktop
    I have been scanning documentation and the irc channels but to no avail - I have my IP address but am totally ignorant to what an essid is?
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated,

Cheers and a big hello to the Linux community

Re: Wireless connection problems

An essid is the name of the wireless network that you are trying to connect to. The ssid (usually what it is referred to as) can be set in your wireless router and can be "hidden" (not broadcast). If there are multiple ssid's being broadcast they will show up in the network-manager or WICD (I can normally see my neighbor's).

Has the network-manager disappeared from the panel? I believe you can access the same settings from "K menu"->"System Settings"->"Network Settings"

It might help those around you if you could post the output from these commands:
    lspci

Comment

make sure your wireless isn't turned off......don't ask how I know....
      Cheers, Big Ears!<br /><br />Asus C90s -3gb, e6600 2.4ghz, 250gb,Nvidia 8600 gddr3,Intel4965agn //Kubuntu 8.04/Gaming Partition (Vista)--dual boot<br />[B][I]My Linux Blog:&nbsp; http://linuxchronicles.wordpress.com

Comment

Just to conclude my error, I was using the wrong network driver - I downloaded the proper one (atheros AR5211.inf) and the list of available networks appeared. Also I figured out that the ESSID is the extended service set ID or the name of your network connection i.e 'BOBs connection'

Just a note, I am enjoying the wealth of knowledge on the site and of its members, but I'm a little disappointed that no one got back to me on this. Should I have posted my problem on multiple forums?

Comment

Originally posted by meddler
          ...but I'm a little disappointed that no one got back to me on this.
          No one?? I see two replies here. :P Glad to hear that you got your problem figured out. Will you please return to the initial post, click the modify button and add SOLVED to the subject line?

Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X