This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing latest (64bit) Nvidia Drivers on the k8 kernel

I've some how managed to get the 2.6.12.10-amd64-k8 kernel installed.

I've followed this guide to install the drivers http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=27
    But when running the install I got the following...
    Code:
    ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. 
           Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
           kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems,
           for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' RPM installed.  If you
           know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the
           kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
    After a reboot I noticed (uname -r) that I'm back using the 2.6.12-10-amd64-generic and not the k8 version.

I'm guessing the prob is that I have the k8 linux-headers and not the generic ones installed...? (but I wanna use the k8 kernel)

I can no longer change to the k8 kernel....? In Adept I'm sure it had upgraded next to linux-image-2.6.12-10-generic before (just says installed now & I cant remove it).

last thing I tried installing the drivers yesterday (reformatted since then) on the generic kernel which worked fine but after a reboot kdm did not load (managed to get back by editing the xorg.conf but anyway..). I read that i need to remove apt-get restrictions or something to allow the nVidia drivers to run, how do I do that?

Sorry for the long post. 

Re: Installing latest (64bit) Nvidia Drivers on the k8 kernel

First of all, I'm sorry to tell you that you really didn't have to go to all that trouble. All you had to do was to download the package linux-restricted-modules for your kernel. Can you try
    Code:
    apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.12-10-amd64-k8
    apt-get install linux-image-2.6.12-10-amd64-k8 linux-restricted-modules-2.6.12-10-amd64-k8
    If you are really using the generic kernel there should be no objection to removing the k8 kernel. Of course it tells you that it's already removed your fine for the second instruction.

I would add
    Code:
    apt-get install synaptic
    It really works better than adept.

Comment

Re: Installing latest (64bit) Nvidia Drivers on the k8 kernel

Nope reinstalling it didn't work... Would I need to remove the generic kernel & it would automatically fall on the k8 one?

Anyway Synaptic sorted it out, it really is a much nicer manager thanks allot!

Comment

Working...
      X