This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Log in

I attempted to change the user/ administrator info to a diff one and now when i go to log in i get (gnome-session:4485): libgnomevfs-WARNING**:unable to create _/.gnome2 directory: no such file or directory
    could not create per-user gnome configuration directory '/home/t-mac/.gnome2/' no such file or directory

i tried going into a failsafe terminal and always get permission denied when i try to make it a directory and it wont allow me to log on as the original user due to the fact that i altered it
    please help im lost

Re: Can't Log in

undo what u did.

try

alt+f2

try logging in to ur user

if not boot into recovery mode - press esc at the grub countdown and see if u get auto-put into a root command prompt.

if u can

issue:

Code:
     chown -r username:username /home/username
    & try logging in again thru KDM, GDM, etc..
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Re: Can't Log in

I attempted to change the user/ administrator info to a diff one
      Mess with this at your peril. You may have lost superuser rights.

Copied from http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-150021.html

"Use the 'Recovery Mode from the Grub menu at startup.

Recovery mode will drop you to a root prompt. If you don't see the GRUB menu at startup then you probably have to press the ESC key to view it, as its sometimes hidden and only revealed when you hit the ESC key.

Once at the root prompt you can use this command to edit the /etc/sudoers file..

visudo #this command does on thing. It opens the sudoers file for editing

My sudoers file looks like this. Note the last line where I give my user sudo privileges. This is the line that would need to be added by those who, for whatever reason, don't have sudo privileges.

# /etc/sudoers
      #
      # This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
      #
      # See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
      #

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# Defaults

Defaults !lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn

# User privilege specification
      root ALL=(ALL) ALL
      mustard ALL=(ALL) ALL

You can see my username on the bottom line. You would need to add your username to the bottom as I have done.

Assuming your user name was "bob'', then the line that would need to be added would be..
      bob ALL=(ALL) ALL

This is just one way of doing it. Some sudoers files are set up with an admin group called 'adm'. Users are then added to the adm group, and a line in the sudoers file that looks like this below gives members of the 'adm' group admin access.
      %adm ALL=(ALL) ALL

If you decided to do it this way you would create the line above at the bottom of your sudoers file then do this command (substituting your username in the appropriate place)..

adduser your_username adm"
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
      X