X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB problems.

Hi all.

I am having annoying USB issues in kubuntu 8.04.

The mouse and keyboard tend to lock up at random intervals. I can't tell if kubuntu is still working because of this. I have tried a couple of different distros (linuxmint, fedora 8), which have the same problem. Replugging does nothing.

If I plug in a memory stick : mouse/keyboard freezes.

When kubuntu is running fine if I unplug the mouse/keyboard and replug: mouse/keyboard freezes.

The only thing I can do is reset the machine, and the mouse/keyboard works as normal for a while.

I tested by installing windows XP SP2, which does not have issues with the USB devices. I can plug/unplug to my hearts content and XP will keep on working.

I have enabled/disabled legacy USB in the BIOS, which made no difference.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I could try. I am tearing my hair out. I want to move away from windows if I can, but this is making it impossible.

I am running a Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (AM2) with a gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 motherboard. I have 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 pro (with ATI 3d drivers installed). The mouse is a microsoft USB wheel mouse (optical), and the keyboard is a "Microsoft Digital Media Pro". Both of these worked just fine on a completely different machine.

Re: USB problems.

Acouple of questions for you
    Why do you need to unplug mouse & Kebord
    If i do this the systems freezes and i am sure this is normal on linux as the required modules are loaded at boot time and derecistered when unplugged forcing you to reboot.

Is the usb port you plug the stick into a different port or simply a front port attached to maybe the port you use for mouse or keyboard.

Regards
    Sharke
    System Kubuntu Hardy Kde 3.5<br />Intel core2 Duo (conroe)<br />Asrock MB Conroe945G-DVI<br />Mem 2.0Gig<br />Graphics Intel Media Excellerator 950<br />Audio Realtdk Alc888 7.1 High Definition

Comment

Thanks for responding to my query.

I don't need to unplug the keyboard/mouse. I just wondered if the effect was the same for the mouse/keyboard. (trying to see if it was just the memory stick that was problematic).

I have got the mouse/keyboard connected up to a usb powered 4 port hub. This hub is connected directly to a usb port on the rear of the computer (near PS2 connections).

Originally I tried plugging the memory stick into this hub, which is how I picked up on this issue. I have tried plugging the memory stick into the rear of the computer, but this has the same effect.(system freeze)

Kubuntu has locked up twice today, in respect of mouse/keyboard not responding.

Comment

How many usb ports do you have not counting the 4 on hub.
        Please run lspci in terminak and post usb results

Regards
        Sharke
        System Kubuntu Hardy Kde 3.5<br />Intel core2 Duo (conroe)<br />Asrock MB Conroe945G-DVI<br />Mem 2.0Gig<br />Graphics Intel Media Excellerator 950<br />Audio Realtdk Alc888 7.1 High Definition

Comment

Working...
        X