This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sound of one hand... [installing]

OK, brand new here. Installed Kubuntu 7.10 48 hrs ago to eventually get to LinuxMCE. Thought I'd better get to know the stuff in the trunk. Have followed along at linuxcommands.org about the terminal and have had much fun and success with no disasters to date. That said, I am looking for the coles notes on a thing or two...

I wanted to get the latest firefox (the 3.0 RC1 from about 24 hours ago) and did find a string for apt-get which got me gran paradiso (an alpha that runs fine) but I can't seem to figure out how to get the RC1 happening from the terminal. I eventually downloaded the tarball from the mozilla site and (heh, heh, you quickly find out that over 20 years of Mac experience prepares you for NOTHING in the linux world)

So, kind folks, what am I missing here? Better yet, point me to a site that can educate me on getting these things done and I'll be forever grateful. Fortunately this box is a total experiment at this point (one that I hope can turn into a robust whole-house computing environment) so I can afford to kludge around but I registered here expecting to have moments like this - so let's see how this goes...

Re: The sound of one hand... [installing]

Maybe you want to make life complicated for yourself so you will "learn".

You can see "Installing Firefox 3.0 Beta 1 on Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon" by CLI at http://phorolinux.com/installing-fir...sy-gibbon.html . The principles should be the same.

I like to keep life simple.

The firefox 3.0 packages are available in the Universe repositories. You can install it through the terminal, or Synaptic, or Adept, or ... In the Terminal use the command:
    sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Okay this is what did:

I followed the instructions on the link above given by arochester, well sort of.

I unpacked the downloaded FF3RC1.tar file to my home/username folder.

I then went into konqueror adnim mode :
      alt+f2
      Code:
      kdesudo konqueror
      if you are in kde3.5.9/kde4 HH
      or
      Code:
      kdesudo /usr/lib/kde4/bin/dolphin
      if you are on kde4 remix
      give your password (user)

Then just copy the firefoxrc1 folder generated before form my /home/username folder to /opt.

Now go back to a alt+f2 session and do:
      Code:
      kmenuedit
      Now you can add an entry to your kmenu/internet. Call it Firefox3RC1, choose a picture and give the following command:
      Code:
      /opt/firefox-3.0rc1/firefox
      to start it up.

This has various advantages.
      One being that rc1 will not corrupt any installation of FF 3 beta so you can test both at hearts content and upgrade beta when needed
      Second when kubuntu comes with their version of FF3RC1 you can use that without it being corrupted by another version.

Welcome to the party and enjoy
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I guess you're never too old to enjoy learning something new. Thanks loads. I had the browser installed and running from the terminal after the first reply.., but now that I have learned some menu editing, well, this is really getting to be fun. My wife just peeked out wondering what I am doing - a good time to pack it in for the night.

Thanks again for the speedy help. Haven't had this much fun with a computer in at least 10 years.

Comment

Glad your having a good time and to be of help
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

While I feel well on the way, I still would like to have a documentation source online for some self-help instruction when these things come up. Is there a resource that I can use, a place to start (besides google) that I can use to learn this stuff for myself. I'm willing to do the reading/trying/failing (if necessary) but would like a non-cryptic source for explanations if I can find it.

Any help or direction much appreciated.

Comment

Have a look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=790485 which is current on ubuntuforums

There are some small differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

"A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
              X