This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Display Brightness (Old iBook)

I'm really enjoying Kubuntu on my old "clamshell" iBook. Quicker than OSX by far, support for other aged peripherals (like an old Microtek scanner I have)... and all the developer tools I could want!

But...here comes the "dumb newbie question"... How do I adjust the brightness/backlight on the old iBook's display? It seems to be defaulting to a rather dim setting. I haven't yet found anything in KDE's GUI tools (but I'm sure it's there somewhere).

Thanks!
    Mark

Re: Laptop Display Brightness (Old iBook)

try installing kgamma. I think that solved someone's problem like this before.
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Thanks!

I found KGamma, and have attempted to install it. But I can't get past failed attempts at configure, which insists I don't have Qt3 installed (I do! And it's installed as Adept wanted it; other sources have found it at configure/make time).

What do I need to tell configure in order to get it to behave (just went through some of this with KMyMoney the other evening, so now I KNOW I have Qt, etc all installed)...

Help?
      Mark

Comment

'kgamma' is available in the 'universe' repository...enable universe and you can install it with adept

Comment

Thanks! I had added <universe>, but hadn't punched the update button to force Adept to update its package entries. That done ... Adept is Wonderful Stuff, and I was able to install KGamma.

But KGamma, while nice, doesn't solve the problem. The iBook, like most modern laptops concerned with extending battery life, provides for an adjustable backlight level for its LCD display. With the backlight defaulting to a mid-level setting (and no adjustment in sight), the display simply washes out in ambient light, becoming nearly unusable in a reasonably bright room.

Are there any packages that offer support for laptop backlight brightness control? (I haven't found one yet, but I'm still looking!)

--Mark

Comment

I too would love to see a way to control the display intensity. I am using a dell inspiron to do gps work. Whenever I am outside (without power) the display gets darker. It's really frustrating and hard to see.

Kubuntu is changing the brightness when the power changes. How can I override that?

Comment

Working...
            X