Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

howto install packages without network ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howto install packages without network ?

Hi there,

I've installed a pc with Kubuntu for someone that doesn't have an internet connection. So far so good. But how do I install something extra on that pc since I can't just use Adept or apt-get...

I have internet access myself (obviously) so am I right in assuming I could just do the following ?

eg to install frozen-bubble
    -download frozen-bubble_1.0.0-6_i386.deb (via Adept, copy it from /var/cache/apt/archives)
    -burn it on a cd ,insert the cd on the destination pc, mount it
    -run dpkg -i frozen-bubble_1.0.0-6_i386.deb

but how do I know if it has dependencies on other packages not on that pc ?
    Any way of listing all packages a package depends on ?
    would it even work as I described ? Is there an even easier way ?

Re: howto install packages without network ?

First of all, I'm not sure that the standard install actually installs everything on the CDROM. If not, the things you'd like to install may still be waiting on the CDROM. It's worth a try, if you haven't done it already.

I think you're method would work were it not for the problem that you correctly foresee with dependecies. However, I believe (hope) that you can get around that problem by using
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -d install whatever
    I hope that if you do that package whatever and all its dependencies will be downloaded, but not installed. The problem is that if apt-get is as smart as it is supposed to be, it will only download the dependencies that it doesn't already find on YOUR computer. That mean, you will have to do the extra work of looking at http://packages.ubuntu.com/ for every package you want to install and gathering up the ones's that weren't downloaded because they already exist on your machine. This could be a MAJOR pain when installing, for example, the first Gnome package on that machine.

Comment

Working...
    X