Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to have MS Office running 100% in Kubuntu ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to have MS Office running 100% in Kubuntu ?

Hi,

I have MS Office XP, and I need it for my work and to communicate clients. I installed CorssOver office last version; Outlook runs ok, but Word crashes from time and is annoying. Is there a way to have MS Office running 100% in my Kubuntu box? I really would not like to leave Kubuntu because of MS Office problems...

BTW, I know Open Office, but unfortunately it lacks of some functionality I require and already have in MS Office.

I run Kubuntu 7.10 on a Toshiba Satellite A60

Thank you,
    Guillermo

Re: Is there a way to have MS Office running 100% in Kubuntu ?

Your 'best bet' here, would be to install either VirtualBox or VMWare Player, and then install Win XP as a virtual machine. That way you can 'have your cake and eat it too.' With the VM installed, you can run MS Office when you need to (as well as any other M$ app). This is what I (as well as quiet a few other members here) am doing.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I concur.
      Here are a a good way of doing that in vmawre:

http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

if you are running hardy pay attention to this:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090895.0

if not just ignore the any-any reference.

Virtual box is okay but a bit slow for my taste.

Enjoy.

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I highly recommend VirtualBox. Running XP is fairly easy, although I would not recommend less than 1 GB ram. Anything less and your machine will be very slow.

Funny, I have MS Office 2000 running very well under wine. I didn't know that there was an "XP" version of Office.

Comment

I concur with VirtualBox as (for me) it was easier to install and configure. I had many issues with VMWare.

I didn't know that there was an "XP" version of Office.
          It's Office 2003! And it's running swimmingly with VB.
          Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel.

Comment

VB is great....I have Office 2007 and some vertical market business programs with usb support running in VB 1.6.0.
            Cheers, Big Ears!<br /><br />Asus C90s -3gb, e6600 2.4ghz, 250gb,Nvidia 8600 gddr3,Intel4965agn //Kubuntu 8.04/Gaming Partition (Vista)--dual boot<br />[B][I]My Linux Blog:&nbsp; http://linuxchronicles.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you all for your advises !

By the way, MS Office 2002 was known as MS Offixe XP, released in 2001

Guillermo

Comment

Working...
              X