Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOOB ALERT! Kubuntu/Ubuntu? LAMP? Webmin? Please help! :)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOOB ALERT! Kubuntu/Ubuntu? LAMP? Webmin? Please help! :)

Hello,

I am a complete newbie to Unix. I just got two amazing new computers, one of which I'd like to turn into a dedicated server so I can start hosting my websites without being nickel and dimed by these hosting companies.

I just installed Kubuntu. It looks great... but I'm wondering now if I should have installed Ubunto server? I say this because there was no LAMP server installation prompt upon instaling Kubunto... hmmm...

That leads me to my second thought... I obviously want to install PHP, MYSQL, etc... what's the easiest way to do this? Perhaps installing LAMP through Ubunto server or using something like Webmin?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: NOOB ALERT! Kubuntu/Ubuntu? LAMP? Webmin? Please help!

You've not specified, so ...

What version of Kubuntu did you install? If Hardy Heron (8.04), which version - with KDE 3.5.9 or the remix version with KDE 4?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply Snowhog!

I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) with KDE 3.5.9. Not the remix version with KDE 4. Should I have installed something else?

Any advice on what to do from here would be great. Thanks.

Comment

When considering installing any 'package' you should first check the installed package manager - Adept Manager - for them, and if available, install from Adept Manager.

Comment

Ok, thank you I checked the adept manager and found "mysql-common" but nothing related to php.

Isn't there some sort of route I could take that would automatically install apache, mysql, and php all at once rather than having to install and configure each one seperately? Is this possible using Kubuntu?

For example.. the post here:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-710...ver-setup.html

Would I be better off with installing an older version of Ubuntu and LAMP rather than Kubuntu? Perhaps I have already found the solution to my problem with the link above. I just really like the user friendly aspects of KDE. Won't I lose the nice GUI and be forced into some sort of "command line" situation with Ubuntu by itself? Thanks.

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you using? If by chance, it's Gutsy, then you will need to:

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
            Code:
            sudo dpkg --configure -a

Comment

Working...
            X