This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

administrator mode button is gone

Im trying to change the gateway ip address and the top box says that "changes in this section requires root access. click the administrator mode button to allow modifications." But there is no administrator mode button! can somebody please help me out?

Re: administrator mode button is gone

I had the same problem with the same thing...

Comment

There is a bug where the settings windows is not correct. You can either use the <alt> while you drag the window to move it upwards and partially off the screen, then resize the bottom to expose the button.

An easier way is to hit<alt> <f2> and enter "kdesu kcontrol" to open up the control center with admin privileges

*edited for correct command*
      sorry, i should not do this stuff from an XP machine at work

Comment

Try Alt-F2 and type
        Code:
        kdesu kcontrol
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

hi,

Are you using the last version of kde ? It's a known bug of kde 3.4.3... You should check this page to update :
          http://kubuntu.org/announcements/kde-352.php

Cheers

Comment

I had similar problem with the add printer screen and found what the keyboard shortcut for the administrator button was. In this case it was "alt m"; though don't know if it is the same for your situation - worth a try.
            Richard

Comment

hey, thx for all the help guys. i found it. you will probably be hearing from me again since this is my first expedition into linux.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                There is a bug where the settings windows is not correct. You can either use the <alt> while you drag the window to move it upwards and partially off the screen, then resize the bottom to expose the button.

An easier way is to hit<alt> <f2> and enter "kdesu kcontrol" to open up the control center with admin privileges

*edited for correct command*
                sorry, i should not do this stuff from an XP machine at work
                nice little command. When I open kcontrol with this method, it display kcontrol with a menu to the left, and when you click a menu item, it shows up on the right side poriton of the window. (The way I like it, and have always seen it before Ubuntu)

When I run kcontrol as a non-root user it displays it as a window filled with icons, that when chosen, then brings you to that properties screen (much like the way control center is in MS Windows).

How can I get that to default as non-root?

Comment

Originally posted by jturnbul
                  nice little command. When I open kcontrol with this method, it display kcontrol with a menu to the left, and when you click a menu item, it shows up on the right side poriton of the window. (The way I like it, and have always seen it before Ubuntu)

When I run kcontrol as a non-root user it displays it as a window filled with icons, that when chosen, then brings you to that properties screen (much like the way control center is in MS Windows).

How can I get that to default as non-root?
                  That is the "default" for non-root, as that's not a configuration thing--that is KControl. What you're talking about is systemsettings.
                  Attached Files
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

you are correct sir, dont know why i didnt look at the edit option, and see that.

Comment

Working...
                    X