This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the Auto-login settings

I came across the Auto-login section while surfing around my Kubuntu Hardy, it is located in the System Settings>Advanced tab >Login Manager>Convenience tab.
    There are two checkboxes under Enable Auto-login: Persistent, and Lock session.
    I tried to find out what they do, but the Help didn't help, and I couldn't find anything about them online. So after experimenting, and figuring out what they do, I thought I might help those who are wondering.

After you enable the Auto-login, the system won't wait on the kdm login screen anymore, but it will login the user that you select automatically, unless if you check the Lock session box (should actually have been called "Keep session locked" to make it easier to understand), which will still require you to enter your password before giving you access to the desktop, but your selected user is logged in though, so it's exactly like you have logged in normally before, and then selected Lock session from the K menu (start menu).

The Persistent checkbox makes the logged in user's session ummm "persistent", which means the user actually cannot logout, if you try it you'll find that the session logged back in, but if the lock session checkbox is also checked, then logging out becomes like locking the session.

I hope this was helpful.
Working...
X