This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE-XP installation problems

I am setting up three kubuntu installs for a nonprofit. The users have never seen linux and for that reason I want to make KDE on them to look as close to XP as possible. For that reason, I attempted to install KDE-XP (speleoalex.altervista.org/flat/index.php?mod=06_Projects/kde_xp)
    using ./, i attempted to run his scripts to get it working. However, it does not show up in themes and the superkaramba taskbar does not work for some reason. Help is appreciated. mods, if this is too deep a question for a newbie, please move this post.

Re: KDE-XP installation problems

I don't have a solution for you, but I do think that however you skin it, they'll still be forced to learn some new stuff. So, why not just show them how to use KDE a little bit, and then they can tell their friends that they can use Linux. Plus, the interface of KDE really isn't that far off from Windows. I'd say that it's very intuitive too.

Comment

I am trying to skin it like xp because the computers are to be used to train users to use office applications. For some of the users, this will be the first computer they have seen. Is there anyone out there who has gotten kde_xp running on kubuntu?

Comment

I see. I'm sorry that I couldn't help more.

Comment

If theming's that important to you, consider using Gnome, as its themes are far easier to install (drag-and-drop to the Theme Manager).

Smooth XP theme:
          http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=16732

GDM (login screen) XP theme:
          http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=22254
          Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by nukedpotato
            I am trying to skin it like xp because the computers are to be used to train users to use office applications. For some of the users, this will be the first computer they have seen. Is there anyone out there who has gotten kde_xp running on kubuntu?
            if this is the first time most have ever seen a computer, just leave it, either way they will have to learn. Believe it or not, KDE is more ergonomic than windows, especially for the new computer user. I know because I have an uncle (one of the 9 :P large family) who refuses to let his kids use Windows at home, he has a mac and a few Ubuntu (maybe 3, their his works old computers, but their brand new! Not even 2 years on them!) boxes,as well as an Edubuntu box. No Kubuntu though

I could actually post a little rant about why Windows Start 2007 was even thought of... but I won't

I lied.
            <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I ended up just using a combo of the Redmond options available in KDE and the bits of kde-xp that would install. thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
              X