This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security

I am into my first week with Kubuntu and finding it a compelling experience. Being fed on a diet of Microsoft and all the security involved - Norton and others and the importance of having them. My question is, Do I need anything 'extra' with Kubuntu. I have a new machine that came with Gutsy Gibbon and to which I have upgraded to Hardy Heron.

Re: Security

If you are referring to virus protection, that is generally not a concern on Linux (as it is on Windoze).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I guess the issue is that previous versions of windows sacrificed security to ease of use. On Linux, you can't (generally) make major changes to the system without conscious decision -- you have to go out of your way to do it. Windows had a big, open door, which was basically superuser privileges for everyone (whee!) Modern versions have fixed a lot of this, but the backwards compatibility trap has meant a lot of things can still sneak in.

Linux is not immune to attack. If you try and set up some new service on your system, for example a web server, then go in and customize all the settings without reading up on the consequences . . . then you could be opening a door.

But in general, the Linux user has to provide the door. It doesn't ship factory-installed ;-)
      Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Many thanks to you both. I am on my own here as in this country Linux users are a rare breed which makes it all the more exciting and indeed privelged to be part of the Linux family - at last

Comment

Working...
        X