This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot burn CDs

Although I have burned hundreds of CDs in Windows, I seem to be only able to produce coasters with K3b. (Dual boot Kubuntu /windows)
    Here is the error printout
    System
    -----------------------
    K3b Version: 0.12.7

KDE Version: 3.5.1
    QT Version: 3.3.4
    Kernel: 2.6.12-10-386
    Devices
    -----------------------
    IDE-DVD ROM 16x HD08 (/dev/hdc, ) at /media/cdrom0 [CD-ROM; DVD-ROM] [DVD-ROM; CD-ROM] [None]

HP DVD Writer 300n 1.25 (/dev/hdd, ) at /media/cdrom1 [CD-R; CD-RW; CD-ROM; DVD-ROM; DVD+R; DVD+RW] [DVD-ROM; DVD+RW; DVD+R; CD-ROM; CD-R; CD-RW] [SAO; TAO; RAW; SAO/R96R; RAW/R96R]
    Used versions
    -----------------------
    cdrecord: 2.1.1a01

cdrecord
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-10-386
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or Solaris.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
    scsidev: '/dev/hdd'
    devname: '/dev/hdd'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
    Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.
    Error trying to open /dev/hdd exclusively (Device or resource busy)... retrying in 1 second.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdd'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord:
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: For more information, install the cdrtools-doc
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Joerg Schilling
    NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of cdrecord
    and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original version.
    Please send bug reports and support requests to <cdrtools@packages.debian.org>.
    The original author should not be bothered with problems of this version.
    TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord: package and read /usr/share/doc/cdrecord/README.ATAPI.setup .

cdrecord command:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/X11/cdrecord.mmap -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=16 -tao driveropts=burnfree -eject -useinfo -audio -shorttrack

Re: Cannot burn CDs

On my machine, when I first tried k3b, I found that the directory /home/me/.kde/share/apps/k3b was "root root drwx". My solution was: "sudo chmod 777 ./k3b" This command has to be given from the /home/me/.kde/share/apps/ directory. So the first command, you need after you start the konsole is "cd ~/.kde/share/apps/k3b You also have to look at the file /etc/group and make sure that your user is a member of the cdrom group.

If I've gone too fast for you, I can give you a more step by step walkthrough, but probably not until tomorrow.

Comment

You should be able to set permissions with k3bsetup...I think there's an icon for it in kmenu, if not, run 'k3bsetup'

Comment

I looked at the /home/richard/.kde/share/apps/k3b and the permissions are drwx------ Also under /etc/group the line entry is cdrom:24:richard,hal

What next? Richard

Comment

This is exaclty the same problem I have. (My thread K3b fails to write CD

Is it something wrong with the mounting of the CD R/W player? Is it readonly? Does /etc/fstab play a role here?

Comment

The problem is that k3bsetup cannot save the required information in your k3b directory because the permissions for the directory allow only the root user to write to the directory., so if you open k3bsetup as a normal user it won't write anything. To break the logjam, you have to give normal users who are members of the cdrom group, the right to write in the k3b configuration directory.

We do this by changing the permissions on the directory. The easiest way to do this is from the command line. Do not fear though, your computer will not explode if you make a typing mistake.

There may be an icon that looks like a black and white CRT on the bottom grey panel, if there is start a konsole by clicking on it. If not click on the K at the left end and then on System, not System Settings or System Menu. Now click on Konsole (terminal program) in the popup menu. You now have an open console. It wil say something like "askrieger@frammis:~$" , obviously, it won't say exactly that. Enter the command
            Code:
            cd /home/richard/.kde/share/apps/
            This will put you in the directory that holds the k3b directory. Because the k3b directory belongsd to root we can't change it's permissions unless we have root authority. So we enter the command
            Code:
            sudo chmod 777 ./k3b
            "sudo" is the preface that that makes an ordinary user a pseudo root user. That's not actually where the name comes from but it's easy to remember. "chmod" is the command that chnges the permissions mode of a file or directory. "777" is the permission array rwxrwxrwx in octal notation, "./" is shorthand for "this directory" and "k3b" is the thing whose permissions you want to change. You will be asked for your password, in order to verify that you are really you, the user with admin priveliges. After you enter your password, either you will get another command prompt, indicating that the command was carried out properly, or an error message, which means you made a typing mistake. Just to make sure that the commad worked type another command
            Code:
            ls -l ./k3b
            This command will show the permissions that now apply to your k3b directory. You should now be able to run k3bsetup, which is also on the system menu and then k3b, which is on the multimedia menu.

In order to learn what you just did, use the commands "man sudo", "man chmod" and "man ls" to look at the linux manual "pages" for these commands. If you're really interested look up "man man" as well.

Comment

Thank you for your very clear explainations. The permissions for the directory are now as you state. If I go into k3bsetup, it asks me for my password ( which means I am going into it as su?) In k3bsetup it is wanting to change the permissions for both cd drives from "660 root.cdrom" to "666 root.cdrom" ( device nodes "/dev/hdd" "/dev/hdc")yet when I click ok the setup program closes as if this has happened but going into setup again nothing has changed.
              Richard

Comment

The first thing to do is to see whether the pseudo files /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd are, in fact, now set to rw-rw-rw-. Linux commands, use the unix model of only reorting failure. If a command succeeds it just gets out of the way. So, if the perms have been changed, you're ready to burn, if not run the following commands:
                Code:
                sudo chmod 666 /dev/hdc
                sudo chmod 666 /dev/hdd
                Then check the perms on /dev/hdc and /hdd again. Then try k3b

Comment

Did the
                  sudo chmod 666 /dev/hdc
                  sudo chmod 666 /dev/hdd

Looking in Konqueror in /dev the line entries for hdc and hdd are shown in blue with a + sign in front ie +hdc . After doing the above the permissions are indeed rw-rw-rw. However, after rebooting they go back to rw-rw---.

Richard

Comment

Snowdrift: The plus is normal, but I'm surprised that the perms went back to 660 after rebooting. Obvously the temporary answer is to change the perms, and burn your cd/dvd before rebooting. As for a more permanent solution, you've now reached the limit of my knowledge regarding how to setup k3b.

He111: The fstab line for your cd/dvd should say
                    Code:
                    /dev/hd? /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0{/code]
                    or something like that. "rw" is the default, but if you want to add it, it won't hurt.

Comment

I decided to try k3b as super user and yes I burned my first CD. However, can anyone tell me why CDDB and playing any track does not work in this mode yet works fine if I run k3b normally!!

Richard

Comment

I tried burning CD as superuser...didn't work.
                        Checked my fstab:

Code:
                        thomas@zirakzagil:~$ more system/linux_config/fstab
                        # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                        #
                        # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>                <dump> <pass>
                        #skipping not relevant filesystems
                        /dev/hdc    /media/cdrom0        udf,iso9660 user,noauto         0    0
                        /dev/hdd    /media/cdrom1        udf,iso9660 user,noauto         0    0
                        AS far as I can see, this is according to askriegers recommendations..i am still stuck

Comment

Did you mount your burner?

Comment

Working...
                          X