This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept will not start

Installed the new version a couple of days ago and every thing was going fine. Don't know what I did but now when I try to start Adept nothing happens. Also have Synaptic installed. It also will not start. Can still open "Add Remove programs". Any suggestions?

Re: Adept will not start

you should un-install adept and keep synaptic or the other way around.

anyway in the terminal input

sudo synaptic

hit enter and type your pw, don't worry it wont' show as you type, just type it out as normal and hiit enter on your keybaord, does it comes up? if so exit & paste if any errors show in the CLI.

CLI (Command Line Interface) = terminal
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Thanks. Just got a chance to try it. Got the following message(s)
      >>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 1 <<<
      >>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 4 <<<
      >>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 5 <<<
      sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 1

Comment

ah the problem is that you modified your sudoers file and made an oops. :P

Please past the contents of your /etc/sudoers file
        Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Boot into recovery mode and run
          Code:
          visudo -c
          Post the output, or fix the issue if that tells you what you need to know.
          --<br />

Comment

Looks like the /etc/sudoers file is messed up. To edit (or even to list) it requires 'root' privileges. Reboot and select to start in Recovery Mode (Single user) which will get you to the command line prompt, and you will be running as root. See if you can then run the following:
            Code:
            cat /etc/sudoers
            If you can, then run the following:
            Code:
            cat /etc/sudoers > /home/username/sudoers.txt
            where username is your username. This will create a file called sudoers.txt in your /home directory. Then run:
            Code:
            shutdown -r now
            This will reboot your system. When you are back on the desktop, log back into the Forum and post the sudoers.txt file for a review so we can see what's wrong with it.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Sorry it took so long for me to answer but the PC belongs to the grandkids and I only get to work on it a couple of time a week. I ended up reinstalling. The last time I tried to log on it locked up after the desktop came up. Had to power down to get out of it. Hopefully whatever we did last time will not happen again.

Comment

The next time you experience what appears to be a non-responsive keyboard, utilize the magic sequence keys to safely bring your system down.

See my reply here.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Seem to have the same problem, but worse. All I get is access denied to sudoers file, even in recovery mode, so it appears I'm into a deadly embrace situation, i.e. need password to file to change password file. Visudo doesn't have access either. Only thing i can think of is to reinstall Kubuntu or pay and install Windows. Just glad don't have any important data on machine.

Comment

Do you have a Live CD? It's very helpful for emergencies like this. If you do, boot from CD. Check the root partition on your hard drive with fsck and if it's OK mount it manually. Then you will have access to all files

Comment

Originally posted by LostAgain

All I get is access denied to sudoers file, even in recovery mode
                      "Recovery mode" is not necessarily the same as "root mode". Is the prompt a "$" or a "#"? If it is a "$", then you need to
                      Code:
                      sudo su
                      and enter the root password. Then you should get a "#" prompt, and be able to run visudo.

Notes:

(1) If you can't become root with "sudo su" and your password, you are screwed -- reinstall and make sure you take care to record the password you set during installation.

(2) If you happen to be successful in getting the "#" prompt and editing sudoers with visudo, exit that prompt as soon as you are finished, and avoid doing anything else "as root" that you don't absolutely have to do. It is a "dangerous" state of being, for your Linux system.

EDIT: Yep, mfabry is correct with the Live CD approach to accessing files on your installed system. But it wouldn't be cool if you had to boot Live CD each and every time a system file needs edited, and you'll never install another package or update unless you know your root password. :P

Comment

Thanks Dibl, tried what you advised but to no avail. I can start the PC, but it's very limited what I can do on it as anything requiring password is blocked. Tried in recovery mode with root access but still didn't accept password, just denies access. I get the same message each time, i.e. ">>> sudoers file: syntax error, line 1 <<<" then on following line "sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 1"

I can see the contents of the file and had copied to my home folder as suggested in the forum, but upon comparing the file with default file appeared to identical syntax.

Ironically I still use my password to login in to the machine at startup. The kubuntu was installed with an alternate CD so did get to choose password and do use it. Machine been happy for six months then has just decided to lock me out.

Comment

You may still try Live CD and use chroot. Check this out:
                          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCdRecovery

If you set up a new root password you should be (hopefully) able to login to console (as root) and edit sudoers file.

BTW Have you finally checked your root filesystem with fsck? Lack of access in recovery mode may signify filesystem problems. Especially if you powered down your computer the hard way.

Comment

I am getting Adept problems too. Trying to run the updates and it hangs at 90% download so I did apt-get update to see the output and at 90% it hangs for a minute then spits out this:

Code:
                            Fetched 190B in 0s (191B/s)
                            Reading package lists... Done
                            W: GPG error: [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org[/url] hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
                            W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
                            what is that all about?

Comment

Originally posted by dude1984
                              I am getting Adept problems too. Trying to run the updates and it hangs at 90% download so I did apt-get update to see the output and at 90% it hangs for a minute then spits out this:

Code:
                              Fetched 190B in 0s (191B/s)
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              W: GPG error: [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org[/url] hardy Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 2EBC26B60C5A2783
                              W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
                              what is that all about?
                              That's something different. Check:
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=318519
                              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=713009

Comment

Working...
                              X