X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation of Kubuntu

Hi! First of all i'm a newbie so bear with my stupid questions

Right now, i have windows xp professional edition i want to change it to kubuntu!! How can i install it

I downloaded it on a torrent site and after that i burned it as a data disc on my nero!!

How can i start.........

Re: Installation of Kubuntu

Why not start with a dual boot?

Take a look at http://whoiam55.at.preempted.net/?p=18

The only comments I'd make, beyond what's there, is to say that you should get all the information you can about your monitor and your internet connection before you start. You can learn about your internet connection by starting a command console in windows and typing
    Code:
    ipconfig /all
    and copying down everything you can about eth0. It's a little harder to get information about your monitor, you certainly know the resolution of your display, but you should also know the frequency range of horizontal and vertical frequncies that your monitor can use. This is easy to find if you have the owners manual. Otherwise you'll have to go to the manufacturer's web site and look up your monitor by its model number.

Comment

First of all, you need to burn the ISO, not as a data disc, but as a CD image. Otherwise, you won't be able to boot that CD. (And don't burn it as bootable. It automatically becomes bootable once you burn the CD Image). And also make sure if what you downloaded is the install CD, not the Live CD.

Second, unless you absolutely want to overwrite (erase) your Windows XP installation, unless you're absolutely sure that you will not use it again, I suggest you use a separate partition to install kubuntu. This way, you can keep both installations. If you're absolutely sure you want to do away with XP, I still suggest you make a separate partition for the /home directory, so that you settings/files will be safe if ever you need to reinstall Kubuntu.

If you are not yet certain whether Kubuntu is really what you want, you can download the Live CD versions so that you can try it out, without installing anything on your hard drive.

Hope that helps a bit

Jucato's Data Core

Comment

what programs can i consider making cd image??

is it permanent if i install kubuntu

is it possible to install windows xp if ever i didnt want kubuntu

Comment

Hi,

Yes it's permanent, til you will erase it or reinstall another OS over it...
          For your question the cd image burning, it depends on which OS you're now, if it's windows, you can use for example Nero (there's a lot of other which are free and will do it), if you're on a linux box, you can use k3b
          Why are you not planning to use the livecd to see how you like it or at least a dual boot ?

Cheers

Comment

Sorry for this question but i don't know how to do dual boot

Comment

First of all, the LiveCD option should be worth it, since you can check both your hardware compatibility and personal opinion of (k)ubuntu without doing any modifications on your system. (You won't get a feel for performance...LiveCDs are slower than installed OSs)

If you like (k)ubuntu, but are not yet ready to ditch windows, creating a dual boot system is easy (the only 'tricky' part is creating space for (k)ubuntu if you haven't got a harddisk you can dedicate for the purpose)...there are many howtos on dual-boot here is a couple (written for ubuntu but should work just as well with kubuntu:
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WindowsDualBootHowTo
              http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/

Comment

TY! im gonna try kubuntu live and check if it's okay

Comment

lastly, i have nero!! what would i choose!!!

make data cd?
                  make bootable cd?
                  copy cd

"An oppurtunity lost is lost forever"

Comment

Originally posted by merdenoms
                    lastly, i have nero!! what would i choose!!!
                    You need to burn it as an image...can't remember what it's called exactly in Nero, probably something like 'Burn ISO image' or 'Burn CD image'

Comment

tnx dude! I've seen it

Comment

i have a drive c: d: e: f:

c: and d: seagate 40gig 10gb primary/30gb logical

and e: f: seagate 40 gig 20gb backup/20gb backup

If i installed kubuntu would the 30gb logical hard disk would dissapear

and can i access my backup on kubuntu because i have mp3s there

Comment

If you have a defragging program that can squeeze all the stuff in d: into 20GB, you can use a partitioner to reduce the size of your D: partition, leaving you 10GB to install linux. That will be fine. Just leave the free space unformatted, so the Kubuntu installer can format it.

You can READ all the files in your C:, (new,smaller) D:, E: and F: partitions in linux once you "mount" them. When your ready, search for that term on these forums. You may need to modify your "fstab" file, once you get going. You won't be able to WRITE safely to ntfs partitions, but you can write to fat32 (vfat) partitions, just fine. I have a substantial music collection on a vfat partition on my removable drive, that I'm listening to right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X