This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking CD Images

Hey everyone, I recently figured out how to check the MD5s of the ISO I downloaded for Kubuntu 5.1 x386, and now I'm wondering how I check my burned disk to make sure there weren't any errors in burning. My installation consistently hangs around 78% when fonts and font-config are being installed, so I'm thinking my media might be flawed (although I have already burned the CD twice and the MD5 checks out on the downloaded file!). Thanks!

Re: Checking CD Images

Sorry about the double post! Internet on school computers is iffy at best..

Comment

The CD burning software, like K3B or Nero, has an option to "Verify written disc" after burning the CD. But it only works if you enable that option before burning the CD.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I don't know about verifying it once it's burned, but you can try burning at slower speeds (2x or 4x), which tends to preserve the integrity of the ISO.

You can also extract the .ISO from your CD and do a checksum on that.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot about burning at the lowest speed possible (unfortunately, my CD writer can only burn at 8x as lowest... )
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

That ought to be slow enough if you're using 24x CDRs. It would be a mistake, though to burn 48x or greater at 8x. You might blow off the whole film

Comment

Thanks a ton - I'm going to try burning a CD tonight and see if I can finally install Kubuntu off of it

Comment

I check verify but when it finishes with burning,it pops out the tray and stays that way. Why?
                Shouldn't be checking the disc for errors by retracting the tray?

Comment

i am sorry to tell you this but many ppl have same problem. i suffered from same thing.. even if you burn cd at slowest speed it will still give you same errors.. well my installation stopped at different % every time
                  take look in ubuntu forums you will find may saying same thing. actually in my experience ubuntu is alot more worst then kubuntu when it comes to copyin to hard drive. thank god that i had my eyes set on kubuntu from start. tho i did try to install ubuntu before but never succeeded.

my only workaround was my strong determination to get kubuntu. so i repeated installation process over and over again ( i have ati card to i suffered from "black screen of death" lol .. and had to get fglrx driver everytime) but eventually i was able to get kubuntu.

i wish you luck

Comment

@caveneo: Please take a look at this page on the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

Comment

Working...
                    X