This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apache newbie

I'm relatively skilled with Linux, but have VERY little skill in apache. I have a sever set up, which i can use on my intranet by pointing my internet browser to my ipaddress. However, beyond that there really isnt much i know.

I was thinking of buying a domain and trying this out. However Id on;t know where to begin to configure my apache server.

I've never bought a domain before, so I don't know how it works. I'd like to know how I would configure apache if I bought a domain...i dont know much at all so all the info anyone could give is appreciate.

I've tried to google it, and the sites i did find i dont entirely understand.

the 2 things i really want to know is

1)If i registered a domain how would i configure apache
    2)is there a way to configure apache to use a domain on my internal network without registering that domain(so if i wanted to go to like www.whatever.com on my other computer)

i do want to learn anything else I can about apache. I am planning on going into the field and I need to know where to start.

THANKS MUCH!

EDIT:

also is there a way to make it so i could access my web server though my global ipaddress without registering a domain?

Re: Apache newbie

you can get a free domain @ dyndns.com it will point visiters to your ip, but if your IP changes a lot, u'll need to manually update it with your new ip or use rinetd in the repos to do this for you.

at first you have no webpage and you have to create a index.html file in your /var/www/ folder for it to start seeing a webpage, otherwise everrything you put in there or link ie: shortcut folders in there will be browsable by all as a directory.

You can see my webpage in My sig hosted off my computer, oh! and for others to see your site, u'll need to open/allow all to come into port 80 of your computer unless you set-up rules to block certain ips and ip ranges..

Also your index.html is editable just like any other and you just input html code into the file when editing it with kate, etc..

if you see the html source of my site u'll see what's in my .html files in my /var/www/ folder.

Also in the links I just used my site url, with folder name and so forth pointing to the file.

Example:

/var/www/

in there is a folder called astraware,

in there is some shareware/demo vers. of reg. software I have of theirs as I was able to gather ol' versions so I thought I'd share with teh world.

anyway,

/var/www/astraware/

in the a file called Astro_Ver.Info.txt

just putting the url of your site a slash and the folder then the item will link to the file, or you can go deepter if you more folders..

for that example http://botnetgodalphamale.dnsdojo.or...o_Ver.Info.txt

by the way the 8000 is the port, and yes if you put it on a diff .port you gotta keep port 80 open and oh! rinetd is not for updating the ip with your new ip, but re-directing to another port, but you gotta keep port 80 open still and open up the other desired port.

without the 8000 it takes you to my haven't really used wiki which yes you can edit.

oh and the program to update the ip is ddclient and it's in the repos, however you'll have to type some stuff in the CLI while installing the program ie: the dyndns username that you use and of course the pw your chose...

Of course your site will be up only when your connected to the net.
    Wanna know more about Me and My computer then click here

Comment

Working...
    X