X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reset Admin password?

Originally posted by decatur-linux
    Is there a "random password generator" for Linx.  Not that the generator would change the password, but that would generate a series of passwords from which you can choose. I remember there was one on the DEC Vax machines several years ago.
    here is (apg, for example)...and there are plenty of online generators, but the problem with random passwords is that they're generally hard to remember and you'll usually end up writing them down (especially if you have many passwords) which isn't very safe.

One trick that I use to generate a password not in a dictionary that is easy to remember is to take the first letter of a song lyric, such as Then I Saw Her Face, Now I'm A Believer, which would make the password tishfniab.  You can, of course, add numbers or other characters to make it more difficult to crack.
    Using pass phrases creates good passwords, but the phrases can also get hard to remember if you have many passwords. Especially if you change your passwords often.

The advantage of using an algorithm (rules) to create passwords is that you can write the base words down if you wish to. In my example above, you can write 'home' (and the rest of your 'base' words) down since only you know the rules how you form your password from the basewords. There is no harm in combining different methods, of course...or use the one that fits your computing habits best

EDIT: Hmm...starting to get more than a bit Off-Topic here, sorry for that

Comment

Working...
    X