This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HH 8.04 Hard Freezes

I downloaded Hardy Heron x86-64 yesterday to replace FC8 because I was getting random hard freezes. Sound stutters for a second, at most, and then keyboard and mouse lock up completely. I'm getting the exact same problem with Kubuntu, however. I'm not sure what hardware is relevant or whether there's a good console app that I can copy output from, so here's the hardware that I can think off the top of my head might matter:

Athlon 64 3500+
    nForce4 mobo
    nVidia GeForce 6600
    Running from SATA 1 HDD

I made a few changes to the default install and I'm wondering if any single one might be the problem.

I installed the drivers from the nVidia site; from the ubuntu forums, I gather that this isn't the problem as it occurs whether you're running the default drivers or the proprietary ones, though I haven't tried this myself, since not having those drivers means foregoing most of what I use my desktop for anyway.

I apt'd build-essential and some 32-bit libraries. I also installed Firefox 3, though it hasn't been running for some of the crashes, so I doubt it's relevance.

After doing some reading, I thought it might be frequency stepping issues and, as per many forum threads, I disabled powernowd by putting exit 0 after the first line in /etc/init.d/powernowd and then I used synaptic to uninstall altogether. After several more freezes, I reinstalled it to be more in line with the default install.

That was really the only useful advice that I found, other than rolling back to an earlier kernel, although I'm not sure how far back I'd have to go. I gather that some people are having similar problems with hard freezes and zero log feedback.

So, any ideas other than rolling back my kernel? And err... if not, how exactly do I roll back to an earlier kernel? apt-get only auto-completes to the latest version.
Working...
X