This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong version? How to remove? or?

I am a total newbie to Linux, reasonably proficient with Windows including the awful Vista, downloading and using programmes all ok. Tired of freezes, crashes and having a cup of coffee while waiting for Windows to act. So, been thinking about Linux for a long time, better act now before all 3 PCs freeze for ever. Look on linux.com and see Kubuntu recommended for newbies used to Windows. Download 8.04 with KDE 4 remix, all goes well. Go to Automatix2 for downloading programmes as recommended only to find it does not work for KB 8. Try to download and install various programmes but fail. Managed to set up Yahoo / MSN on Kopete.
    Should I uninstall KB 8.04? If so how and what should I get instead. I need Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader and Flash, probably MSN & Yahoo Messengers, etc. and presumably and anti-virus programme like AVG.
    Also can't work out how to get my docs, pics, emails from the Windows side. via CD ROM?
    Hopefully somewhere there will be a manual to help me.

Re: Wrong version? How to remove? or?

You (probably) don't want to be using 8.04 with KDE4. KDE 4 is still being developed. If you want a favorable experience with Kubuntu and 8.04, download and burn the 8.04 with KDE 3.5.9 LiveCD .iso.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

now I think I messed up my windows, can't get into it at boot

Comment

Originally posted by Jewittenator
        I am a total newbie to Linux, reasonably proficient with Windows including the awful Vista, downloading and using programmes all ok. Tired of freezes, crashes and having a cup of coffee while waiting for Windows to act. So, been thinking about Linux for a long time, better act now before all 3 PCs freeze for ever. Look on linux.com and see Kubuntu recommended for newbies used to Windows. Download 8.04 with KDE 4 remix, all goes well. Go to Automatix2 for downloading programmes as recommended only to find it does not work for KB 8. Try to download and install various programmes but fail. Managed to set up Yahoo / MSN on Kopete.
        Should I uninstall KB 8.04? If so how and what should I get instead. I need Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader and Flash, probably MSN & Yahoo Messengers, etc. and presumably and anti-virus programme like AVG.
        Also can't work out how to get my docs, pics, emails from the Windows side. via CD ROM?
        Hopefully somewhere there will be a manual to help me.

When you get to your log on screen, there is a little file looking thing in the right hand lower corner. Click on it and you can change your desktop. Go with kde 4.0 or 3.8?? the eariler version. Thats how I did it in my version. Hope that helped.

Comment

Working...
        X