This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative sounblaster X-fi Platinum

i tried all i could understand but i can't get my sounblaster to work. please help me in easy steps. i only use the headphone output and the optical out if there are friends.

Re: Creative sounblaster X-fi Platinum

You can download the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Series Linux 32-bit / 64-bit Beta Driver from http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

This driver does work (very easy to install) as I installed it on a friend's Kubuntu 7.10 who has the same sound card (as yourself).
    &quot;Live Outside The Square You Live In&quot;<br />&quot;Vivez hors du quartier où vous habitez&quot;

Comment

Does it sound as good as if it were a windows machine? If so then I want to give it a try. I have had to use my onboard sound or boot into windows for the better part of a year because there was no linux support for X-Fi cards. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer card.

I have Bose speakers and Bose headphones. I have to use my headphones most of the time though. They sound pretty decent with my onboard sound, but even better through windows with my X-Fi card.

Even if I download the driver, I don't know how to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by bgast1
        Even if I download the driver, I don't know how to install it.
        Something unclear in the Show Details... section?
        &quot;Live Outside The Square You Live In&quot;<br />&quot;Vivez hors du quartier où vous habitez&quot;

Comment

Yes. Call me dense, stupid, anything else you might want to call me, but all of that information in the READ.ME about alsa is like a foreign language to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bgast1
            Yes. Call me dense, stupid, anything else you might want to call me, but all of that information in the READ.ME about alsa is like a foreign language to me.
            You are NOT stupid. One thing I have learned. Lynix geeks just are not the best at explaing stuff. They prefer you read countless pages of pointless dribble to get to the how to's. While still new to lynix, Im working on it. Now first idea for ya. Click on the volume button. See at the bottom of the window it says "mixer'?? Click on it. Upper left hand corner you will see a drop down box? Try changing that first. I have a soundblaster card as well. I changed it to the setting and it worked. Im not sure if I had to reboot or not. Give that a shot and see if that fixes your problems.

If that does not solve your issue, let me know I will do my best to help.

Comment

I had to switch to a Gnome Desktop. I didn't see a speaker on the KDE 4. I have my onboard sound working right now, but I am wondering if I will notice much difference if I were to be able to install the driver for my X-Fi Extreme Gamer card. If so, then it would be worth my while trying to figure out how to do it. I just don't understand what they were talking about in the READ.ME about ALSA, nor how to actually install it. I know that there was a HOW TO over at the regular Ubuntu forums. But I didn't know if all of that information at the bottom applied to me with regard to OSS and ALSA, if I recall correctly.

On a side note: I am finding that the Gnome Desktop is more user friendly in some aspects, but that KDE 4 looks so much better and once I have started to learn a little about it, I am able to get around and accomplish tasks, but Gnome is better for installing packages and getting them working.

Comment

bgast1: The "speaker" I think you are referring to is called KMix and is found in the Multimedia menu item. From memory the applet is not on the System Tray by default; you manually add it.

I do not use KDE 4 but I expect it's the same as KDE 3.

Comment

Working...
                X