This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compiz problems.........

New to lynux. Have the latest version of kubuntu. Drivers installed, compiz says its installed. For the life of me I just can not get it to work. I prefer to use the simple config manager. Just keep saying its disabled. One other issue.

I even went to system, desktop effects, and used custom settings, hoped that would fix it. No luck. If someone has a line command I can simply use to enable or disable compiz that would work to. Thanks all.

Re: compiz problems.........

Since this is my first time with Kubuntu and Compiz and all that, I'm not likely to be of much help, but, up until last night, I couldn't figure out what Compiz might actually do. I installed it, turned it on, and nothing really happened. So, I turned it back off, thinking I'd deal with it later. I then proceeded to play with window transparency and whatnot in the System Settings > Window Behavior area since Compiz was now disabled.

This morning, I decided to turn on the Standard Effects, and sure enough, it worked!

I don't know how much fiddling about you might have done with it, how many times you might have restarted your computer, or restarted X, at least, but for me, it just magically settled down and started working.

Hopefully someone far better suited to answer to your concerns will show up, but there is hope, that is certain.

Good luck to you!
    AMD64 3400+ | Biostar GeForce6100-M9 | Sound Blaster Audigy SE | 1.5 GB RAM | 500 + 40 GB WD HDDs | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

As wartooth mentioned make sure you have CCSM installed so that way you can configure the cool features of Compiz. If you do have that installed open up Konsole and put in compiz --replace and see if you get any error messages in there. Also make sure (or at least for me on both my Nviida and ATI machines) that you have your restricted drivers installed so that way your OpenGL will run.
      If after you do the Compiz --replace and it does not work let us know and post the output from it here so we can help decipher what's going on. I'm not an expert at this stuff yet by any means but I am learning.
      Also once you get Compiz installed consider installing emerald so you can take advantage of some window effects that compiz does not do. i.e. my window title bars resemble Vista in that they are see through. Oh and welcome to the community.
      Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Ok, I got one problem fixed. Compiz now works. I downloaded and installed EnvyNg and it took care of my video card drivers. Now a few other issues.

My screen resolution is all wacky, how do I change that??

I can recall seeing a setting for graphic acceleration can not recall where that one was??

One last thing, when I reboot, I get all kind of text loading this checking that, before I get to my logon screen and right after I pick kubuntu from the boot options, is that normal? Cause I sure dont rember seeing it in right after I installed this version?

Comment

Good to hear Compiz is working!

Have you gone to System Settings > Monitor & Display yet? You should be able to alter your resolution there. If not there, then someone should be able to tell you how to do it with the command line. I've done that before, but I'm no good at explanations, especially without notes.

The text appearing is normal. Or, at least, I get it, too, and had it with Ubuntu as well.
          AMD64 3400+ | Biostar GeForce6100-M9 | Sound Blaster Audigy SE | 1.5 GB RAM | 500 + 40 GB WD HDDs | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Originally posted by tym
            One last thing, when I reboot, I get all kind of text loading this checking that, before I get to my logon screen and right after I pick kubuntu from the boot options, is that normal? Cause I sure dont rember seeing it in right after I installed this version?
            This is caused when the quiet kernel option is not present in the boot stanza of /boot/grub/menu.lst and is normal. If you don't want to see all these messages (many, like myself, do want to see), you just need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (as root) and make the following changes:

Add to the # defoptions line =quiet so that it looks like this:
            # defoptions=quiet (if other options are already present, just append the =quiet to them)

To each regular kernel line entry (found below the ## ## End Default Options ## line, add quiet to the end of the line (with a leading space)

Save and quit. The next time you reboot, you won't see all these messages.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Originally posted by tym
              This is caused when the quiet kernel option is not present in the boot stanza of /boot/grub/menu.lst and is normal. If you don't want to see all these messages (many, like myself, do want to see), you just need to edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file (as root) and make the following changes:

Add to the # defoptions line =quiet so that it looks like this:
              # defoptions=quiet (if other options are already present, just append the =quiet to them)

To each regular kernel line entry (found below the ## ## End Default Options ## line, add quiet to the end of the line (with a leading space)

Save and quit. The next time you reboot, you won't see all these messages.
              With all due respect snow, I have NO idea how to do what you just said, could you simplify that a bit please??

Comment

Originally posted by wartooth
                Good to hear Compiz is working!

Have you gone to System Settings > Monitor & Display yet? You should be able to alter your resolution there. If not there, then someone should be able to tell you how to do it with the command line. I've done that before, but I'm no good at explanations, especially without notes.

The text appearing is normal. Or, at least, I get it, too, and had it with Ubuntu as well.
                Oh man...........Im a dork. I thank you sir. Honestly I can say google was a bad Idea, They had me on a wild goose chase. Apreciate the help. Have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by tym
                  With all due respect snow, I have NO idea how to do what you just said, could you simplify that a bit please??
                  No problem. The easiest way to edit the file is to open Konqueror (the Web Browser), navigate to /boot/grub and right-click on the menu.lst file and select Actions > Edit as Root and when prompted, enter your password.

This will open the file for editing. Now, scroll down until you see this line:
                  # defoptions

Just cursor to the end of that line and type =quiet
                  If there are no other options already present, the line should now look like this:
                  # defoptions=quiet

Now cursor down until you see this line:
                  ## ## End Default Options ##

Below this line you are looking for the lines that begin with the word kernel
                  This is what my first one looks like:
                  kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=UUID=f6ca0eb3-83b3-461b-8cae-4809e701ea39 ro acpi=off

My kernel lines don't have the quiet option. Again, just move your cursor to the end of the line, press the space bar once and type the word quiet

Repeat for each of the other kernel lines.

Click on File > Save and File > Quit

When you reboot your system, you won't see the boot messages anymore.

Comment

Ok, Im getting so close darn it one problem. when I enable compiz, all the "close and minimize" buttons are missing, even in firefox? How do I get those back.

Thanks snow, thats what I needed. I sure appreciate all the help.

Comment

I was having that problem as well. The (so far) permanent fix (for me) was to press Alt+F2 and type kwin --replace kde-window-decorator I have not had the title bars 'disappear' on me since. There may be another way to remedy this (in Linux, there is almost always more than one way to do something), but for me this worked.

Happy to help. Welcome to the Kubuntu Forum!

Comment

Sorry for all the questions. Now I know how a new xp user feels. Anyway,

I am unable to figure out how to install flash, java, all that stuff needed for the net. Your fix really worked. My buttons are back. Thank you so much. You have really helped this noob to lynix out.

Comment

Questions are not a problem. And I was happy to have helped a fellow Kubuntu user.

As to flash, I would suggest that you first, try using the flashplugin-nonfree package that available in Adept Manager. This is the Open Source version of the Adobe's Flashplayer plugin.

K Menu > Systems > Adept Manager (type in your password when prompted)

Search on flashplugin-nonfree and when it shows in the bottom window click on the blue > and click on the Request Install button and then click on Apply Changes on the menu bar.

Comment

Doing something wrong with your instructions on the hiding the boot text. I open konquer I just can not find that boot option you speak of??

Not sure if I will or not, but is there a way to keep lynix from asking for password every time you wanna run something. The boot on pass word I wanna keep.

Silly question, I recall seeing a way to change the picture of the screen wear you put in your user name and password. I can not find it again.

Comment

For the background on login go to K > System Settings > Click on the advanced tab > Click Login manager switch to admin mode and then click on the background tab.
                              Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Working...
                              X