X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and stuck!

Hi there,

Just installed Kubuntu on my laptop. I've never used it before and am having trouble trying to use adept to install programs. I need NVU, Gimp and amarok but I can't find them in the search panel.

I've tried reading helpfiles on adept but I don't quite understand the repositories thing. I need a bit of help!

Thanks

Re: New and stuck!

The first thing to do is to look at your /etc/apt/sources.list file. In Konqueror (the little house on the bottom panel) navigate to the /etc/apt/ directory. Right click on the sources list and choose Preview in Embedded Advanced text editor. If the lines for Universe repositories are # commented out you will have to edit the file, but you need root permissions to do so. So click on Tools>Execute shell command on the menu bar. A one line box will popup. Type
    Code:
    kdesu kate sources.list
    Enter your password when requested. You may get a box with a stream of error messages ( there's a bug) ignore them because another box will come up with the "KDE Advanced Text Editor" (Kate) remove the pound signs and save the file.

Now you have a choice, you'll probably get some advice on how to handle your problem in Adept, but my solution is more radical. First install Synaptic, it's a Gnome application, so, if it's your first Gnome app, it will download a LOT of stuff, but it's worth it. Start a konsole by clicking on the K at the left end of the panel and then clicking System (not System Settings), then Konsole. Once you've got the konsole started, type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Then enter your password.

That will install Synaptic. Then Synaptic should appear on the System menu right below Adept. Click on it, enter your password, and Synaptic will start. Click on the circled arrows at the top left to reload the available packages list, which will now include the packages from Universe Search for the things you need and install them.

Sounds like a lot of work, but after this, using the packaging system will be very simple.

Comment

Thankyou so much for that, I'll give that a go this evening.

Comment

Ok, I got this message:

mdoyle@blueyonder:~$ sudo apt-get install synaptic
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree... Done
        Package synaptic is not available, but is referred to by another package.
        This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
        is only available from another source
        W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_main_bin ary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
        W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy_restrict ed_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
        W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-updates_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
        W: Couldn't stat source package list http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com breezy-updates/restricted Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/gb.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-updates_restricted_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
        W: Couldn't stat source package list http://security.ubuntu.com breezy-security/universe Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_breezy-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
        W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
        E: Package synaptic has no installation candidate

Help!

Comment

There's something horribly wrong. Synaptic is in ubuntu main. The actual package is named synaptic (all lower case) I can't check the gb repository, but I just verified that it's in the us repo.

Comment

Great! Is there anyway I can resolve this?

Comment

YEA..same question here..what to do with missing packages in the repositories? I am having same problem when trying to install various packages needed for azureus.

Comment

Before you decide that a package is missing make sure that you have all the repositories activated. Check to make sure that nothing is commented out in your /etc/apt/sorces.list file. In adept, it's Adept> Manage Repositories from the menu. In Synaptic, it's Settings>Repositories. If you use apt-get from the command line, use
                Code:
                sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
                In every case you want to make sure that at leas one source for deb: main and resticted is available for breezy, breezy-security, breezy-updates, and breezy-backports. You also want a source for debs for breezy universe and breezy-backports universe. I am not sure that security updates are available for universe but throw it in. You will need multiverse for various odd applications that the ubuntu distribution does not supply or maintain, but that you may need for some special case. If you want to compile things yourself. add deb-src. If you're not planning on compiling things, you probably don't need deb-src.

In situations, where the your local country code is slow, try either an adjacent country or one in a time zone far from your own.

Note added later: You should probably de-activate your cd-rom or dvd-rom.

Comment

I managed to sort it thanks!

I followed some instructions in the konsole to repair some of the packages, and when ran the synaptic install again, it worked straight away. Thanks for your help askrieger, I know have all the things I need.

Comment

Great! Enjoy Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X