This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with makedrv [Solved]

hello all, the problem im having is with a modified driver i managed to secure from looking at the ubuntu forums.

here's my wifi info...
    vendor id: 0xbda (Realtek Semiconductor)
    product id: 0x8189

back in 7.10 i would run a ./makedrv to ready the driver, and then another command included in the package to get it going... but since i updated to 8.04 the following happens when i run the ./makedrv command to get the driver going, hence i have no wifi...

elmaxx@Snort:~/drivers/modified$ sudo ./makedrv
    rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.mod.* *.ko *.o *~
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build M=/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/ieee80211 CC=gcc modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/ieee80211/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/ieee80211] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2
    rm -fr *.mod.c *.mod *.o .*.cmd *.ko *~
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/build M=/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/rtl8187 CC=gcc modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    scripts/Makefile.build:46: *** CFLAGS was changed in "/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/rtl8187/Makefile". Fix it to use EXTRA_CFLAGS. Stop.
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/elmaxx/.local/share/Trash/files/modified/rtl8187] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-16-generic'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

Any help solving this will be greatly apreciated, thanks!

Re: help with makedrv

went to this site...

http://www.datanorth.net/~cuervo/rtl8187b/

and tried downloading the patched drivers... but the makedrv command won't work... this is the output...

elmaxx@Snort:~/drivers/rtl8187b-modified$ sudo ./makedrv
    sudo: ./makedrv: command not found

i'm very new to linux... please help.

Comment

Open Adept Manager (K Menu > System > Adept Manager) and search on gcc This is the GNU C Compiler. If it isn't installed, you need to mark if for such and click on Apply Changes. After it's installed, close Adept Manager and then retry what you are doing.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks a bunch for your reply, gcc is installed :/

got it while on 7.10.

Comment

i thought at first that maybe the 7.10 upgrade had somehow gone wrong, so i installed 8.04 cleanly, i noticed that some scripts lacked the "is executable" permission, but, since my xorg.conf file (gateway 6720) didnt have the 7.10 modifications i needed for the video support i had to reinstall 7.10, fix the file and update, then once again with 8.04 on my system, i gave all the files in the new tar'd drivers executable permissions, and my wifi is working again

Thank you guys!

i just hope this note reaches Mr. Cuervo, so he can put the correct permissions on his files, newbies as me may have a very difficult time figuring things out

have a great day.

Comment

Glad to hear you found a solution. Welcome to the Forum! Would you return to your initial post, click the modify button, and add SOLVED to the subject line?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

absolutely, thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X