This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP and Kubuntu?

Hello again, I have a website and as anyone knows, ftp access to upload files is imperative to have. I currently use CuteFTP for doing this which includes an html editor etc.
    Is there a similar program I have to download from package manager to do this to access my web site files?

Re: FTP and Kubuntu?

There are ftp-clients available (like kbear and kasablanca), but you don't need them...you can for example use
    Code:
    ftp://your.server.com
    in konqueror file browser to copy files back and forth...you can also edit remote (text) files directly with kate editor.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      There are ftp-clients available (like kbear and kasablanca), but you don't need them...you can for example use
      Code:
      ftp://your.server.com
      in konqueror file browser to copy files back and forth...you can also edit remote (text) files directly with kate editor.
      Thank you for the reply!
      I tried that and get an error that is is a private system and no anonymous log ins allowed. I kept trying to log in with my correct user and password and it did not log me in.

Comment

If it doesn't prompt you for a username/password, use
        Code:
        ftp://username@your.server.com
        You can also use (if there is no one looking over your shoulder for the password)
        Code:
        ftp://username:password@your.server.com
        You can also use sftp:// (secure ftp) if the server supports it.

Comment

Try using ftp from the konsole. You start the konsole by clicking on the little crt icon the bottom panel. If it's not there you can use K > System >Konsole Note: that's Sytem and not System Settings.

Once you've got the konsole running try ftp "C_P@wherever.com" or even "ftp C_Password@wherever.com". If neither of these works, it probably means that your site is set up for secure ftp so in tghe command above substitue "sftp" for "ftp". If you get a command not found for sftp, you will have to install it. Strangely enough, the package is called lftp (the first letter is a lower case L) so from the konsole type "sudo apt-get install lftp", and then try to start sftp.

Comment

Thank you much guys. I will give it a try at home and test. I think the issue is my username is:
            cpadmin@cpfools.com and it does not like the extra @ sign.

Comment

Originally posted by C_P
              Thank you much guys. I will give it a try at home and test. I think the issue is my username is:
              cpadmin@cpfools.com and it does not like the extra @ sign.
              I'm just guessing here, but I'd say try using the code for the @ sign instead of the actual sign. I don't know anything about how you would do it... but maybe search around. The code for the @ sign is on this page, but I know you have to prefix it with something, like a % or something.
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Well, the konsole part did not connect and nor did the extra code part. Is there a good FTP program in Kubuntu package manager? I see a couple but not sure which are any good.

Comment

For the fun of it...have you tried using just 'cpadmin' instead of 'cpadmin@cpfools.com' :P (Well I'm sure you have)
                  or:
                  ftp://cpadmin%40cpfools.com@your.server.com

There is at least one person with a similar problem:
                  http://www.kde-forum.org/artikel/141...l-address.html...no answer found there though.

As kasablanca is not (yet) in the repositories, I'd suggest kbear. gftp is nice too, but a gnome/gtk+ app so it might look a little different :P

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                    ftp://cpadmin%40cpfools.com@your.server.com
                    good thing you knew how to add the @ sign in code-form... I'm gonna remember how to do it now... just %##. Thanks for clarifying

Originally posted by Goop2
                    I'd suggest kbear. gftp is nice too, but a gnome/gtk+ app so it might look a little different :P
                    BTW: they crash sometimes, when trying to upload. Don't know if that bugs been fixed yet.

It has on B.K.O: http://bugs.kde.org/simple_search.cgi?id=kbear

But I don't know in the kubuntu repos.
                    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Why not just use a graphical FTP cllient? Try gFTP. It may be installed on your system by default, I'm not sure. It comes with mepis, but I'm not sure about Kubuntu. I use gFTP and it works great. It doesn't have the pretty colors that CuteFTP has, but it works just as well.

Comment

Well, you're always free to use other FTP clients. What they were just saying is that Konqueror can also act as an FTP client. You could use it if you don't want to install anything to use FTP.
                        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I figured out the ftp issue. My host uses cpanel too. I use the username I use to log inot cpanel and BAM! I got files in my browser. Thank you all. At this time however, I am looking at yet another distro called PCLinuxOS.
                          Most people call it, pclos, PClos, PCLos, PClinux, pclinux.
                          It seems to include more of the things I need and was able to pick up all of my hardware, etc. at load of Live disk.
                          Thank you all for the help and it now may be time to leave Kubuntu forums. Thank you all again.

Comment

I've tried PClinuxOS before and it was pretty nice. There were some things I really liked about it, but there were other things that annoyed me. I couldn't get Firestarter to work properly and getting it to dual-boot with a grub boot-loading OS was a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by axel_2078
                              Why not just use a graphical FTP cllient? Try gFTP. It may be installed on your system by default, I'm not sure. It comes with mepis, but I'm not sure about Kubuntu. I use gFTP and it works great. It doesn't have the pretty colors that CuteFTP has, but it works just as well.
                              I second Gftp. I tried Kbear from the repos for a bit, but it kept crashing all over the place and was basically unusable. Gftp has always been pretty solid for me. I could always command line ftp, but I prefer a GUI if I have a choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X