This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Digital Camera Pics, How?

In playing with my Live Kubuntu which looks like I may convert to, I was able to see my Canon Powershot in the camera section under System (I believe was the area).
    However, I went under media and everywhere I could think of to try and import these images but to no avail.
    In reading here, it looks like Digikam from Kubuntu package manager looks to be the way to import images, is this true?

Re: Importing Digital Camera Pics, How?

try browsing 'camera://' in konqueror file browser (I have a Canon Powershot and it works)

Digikam is also a nice piece of photo management software...highly recommended

Comment

I actually see the camera. The only problem is, how do I import the pictures from it? Do I have to use Digikam to do so?

Comment

Tryed copy paste ? Worked for me.

Comment

Copy-paste should work. It would be easier to import/export images if you split your Konqueror into two (Ctrl+Shift+L to split left and right, Ctrl+Shift+T to split up and down).

OT: awakatanka, I'm getting tired of arguing with someone over at the other forum.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Hi C_P,

I have a Kodak digital camera and use digikam to transfer from the camera to my PC. It is a nice app and you can do all sorts of things with it. I would suggest you give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers

Lowey
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thank you for the replies!
              Kubuntu recognizes my camera when I go to System Settings -> Digital Camera it is there as Canon PowerShot A300. But, how do I import the images from the camera to the Kubuntu desktop let's say? I go to find files and folders but where do I browse for this camera (i.e. the Look in section)?
              FYI, I use Kubuntu Breezy Badger: the 5.10 Release Live version right now.
              Also, I go to System -> Pacckage Manager and look for Digikam and it is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                try browsing 'camera://' in konqueror file browser (I have a Canon Powershot and it works)

Digikam is also a nice piece of photo management software...highly recommended
                I did not see Digikam in my package manager. Nor do I see a file browser in konqueror am I really that blind? Sorry man, but I do not see this stuff.

Comment

1. digiKam is found in the universe repositories. You have to enable that I guess.

2. Konqueror IS the file browser. It functions both as a web browser and file manager (and picture viewer, and document previewer, and video viewer... ) at the same time. just type in camera:/ in the address bar (same as if you type /home/username to go to your home folder).

I could post a little Konqueror 101. But unless you really need that info, I'll be reserving it to avoid information overload.
                  Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

1) When you start konqueror, type F9 to display the sidebar. Is there a row of little icons on the left side? Click either the little house (your home directory) or the file folder (the entire file tree). It's really very much like the Windows Explorer as it was from win3 to win2k. I used to make XP look like that, too.

2)Digikam is in the universe repository. You will have to activate it. Just in case you really don't have a file browser, I'll give you a code sequence to use in a konsole.
                    a) Look at the gray panel at the bottom of your display. If there is an icon that looks like a black and white CRT, click it. If not, click the K, then the line "System", NOT System Menu or System Settings. Near the bottom of the pop up menu, click on Konsole.

3) Enter the following lines:
                    Code:
                    cp /etc/apt/
                    This takes you to the correct directory. Type
                    Code:
                    sudo nano sources.list
                    Enter your password when asked. Nano will now start.

4) Nano is a console editor that is very useful for making quick changes. First though, you should activate automatic backup mode (sources.list is a very important file.) so type Alt-b. Now find the lines that have universe at the end. Use the arrow keys. the mouse doesn't work in nano (gets me every time). If the universe lines have the # sign in the first column, delete it. Type Ctl-O to write the new file. The old file is now called sources.list~

5) Now you have to update the package list. Type
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    Enter your password when asked.

6) Now you can try
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install digikam digikamimageplugins
                    . Enter your password when asked, Type yes when asked.

You should now have digikam. apt-get still balked, you will have to add the word "multiverse" at the end of the lines that say universe. and repeat steps 5 and 6.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                      3) Enter the following lines:
                      Code:
                      cp /etc/apt/
                      A little typo there...'cd' instead of 'cp'

Originally posted by C_P
                      Nor do I see a file browser in konqueror am I really that blind?
                      As Jucato said, konqueror is the file manager, it has different (editable) profiles (webbrowser, filebrowser etc.) to use for different tasks, but you can use any profile to browse local folders/files/devices.

Just enter 'camera:/' in the address line and you should see a few folders...browse the folders and you should find your images which you can drag&drop or copy&paste on your computer...of course you can use digikam instead...just remember to add your camera in digikam's 'Camera' menu.

Comment

Working...
                      X