X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Apps to menu - HH/KDE4

I'm sure it quite simple but.....
    Aside from adding them to Favorites, I don't seem to have any way to add applications to the main menu.
    I did a clean install of 8.04 remix without any glitches but was surprised to see how few applications were menu'ed.
    When I 'searched' for them, there they were. such as KMAIL.
    Although I can run them from a launcher, i can't seem to find anyway to update the KDE4 menus.
    Can't find a KDE4 application for it either.

Any ideas?
    thanks

PS - Is it just me or are the "Administrator" buttons missing from some of the System setup windows - i.e. login manager?

Re: Adding Apps to menu - HH/KDE4

The only thing I can think of is:
    open up settings from kmenu>applications and look for menu editor (or similar, mine is in german)
    Kmail should be in kontact.

system settings and especially admin mode is not finished yet. Maybe for kde4.04.

Try doing: alt+f2 (or right click on desktop>run application) and kcontrol. If it is not installed install it from adept. It is kde3.5 but has all the functions.

I hope this points you in the right direction and welcome to the party
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I can get Kmenu to run. Problem is the menu it works on is for KDE3
      What is the file that configures the menus in KDE4? I suspect that until the system tools are sorted out it may be the only way to edit the menu.

Comment

I don't understand. If you have kde3.5 you can edit kmenu any way you want and it should sho up in the kde4 kmenu (either one).

If not you are stuck with the above unless someone else enlightens us
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I only have KDE4. But I recognize the interface as KDE3's
          I suspect that the menu program is one that hasn't "crossed the frontier" from KDE3. There doesn't appear to be a native KDE4 version. If that is the case, it doesn't work on the KDE4 files.
          I'm not sure where to look for the config files for the KDE4 menu. I seem to recall that it isn't that hard, a matter of listing the application in the right place correctly.
          The KDE website had not update it's documentation for KDE4 the last time I looked, but with this latest large release maybe they have.

Mike

Comment

Aren't computers and software wonderful things.
            After wondering how I could update/change the menu in KDE4 -it worked.
            Everything that I had seen in kmenuedit was now available in the various menus.
            I suspect I had not restarted the desktop after installing kmenuedit. Once that happened all of the "missing" applications showed up.
            I haven't really edited it and I've found using the Launch widget works fine.
            Mark this one as solved

Comment

Good for you
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X