Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use a regular internal 56k modem with Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you use a regular internal 56k modem with Kubuntu?

I have a regular PCI 56k dialup modem card connected onto my motherboard but have to use an external serial modem to use the internet. I know when I tried Xandros Premium it was able to use this modem without a problem. How would I configure this thing to work in Kubuntu 7.10?

Re: How do you use a regular internal 56k modem with Kubuntu?

It's a while since I used an external modem ( Got broadband). You should use the program KPPP. If you Google " configure kppp" you will hit various results. For me, one of the most important tabs is "Modems" , where you can "Query Modem" to make sure that you are actually communicating with the thing and "Modem Device" where you can change the place it is (trying) to communicate with.
    An external modem on COM2(Windows) should equate with /dev/ttyS1 (Linux)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I believe there is some issue about "Win modems" not working (or requiring special effort versus a "real" modem)? Not sure, can't recall, but you might make a note of such.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@Qqmike

ALL external serial (not usb)modems should work under Linux. It is the internal ones that can be difficult.

I have a regular PCI 56k dialup modem card connected onto my motherboard but have to use an external serial modem to use the internet.
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I once tried a USB US Robotics, which failed, now it's clear--as I recall vividly!
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X