This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing firefox

Obviously I am really missing something but I have no idea how to install Firefox on Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy.
    After some googling I tried the following:
    I downloaded the tar.gz file and unpacked it and copied the contents into /usr/local/bin/firefox/ (using sudu su)
    I created a menu item under the internet sub-menu with the command /usr/local/bin/firefox/firefox and even found the icon for it.
    But it doesn't work. I get an hour glass for a short time on the task bar while it attempts to load and then it just goes away
    Appreciate your help
    Neil

Re: installing firefox

neil, since no one is jumping in here, I'd suggest something. Problem is, I haven't yet done HH, so I'll probably look uninformed here. But in 7.10,
    K > Add Remove Programs
    or
    K > Adept Package Manager
    (and type firefox, then click the > symbol on the left and request install, apply, etc.)

will get it installed. Is that option not available in HH for the FX version you are looking at?

EDIT
    should be
    K > System > Adept Package Manager
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the attempt to help

If I go to Add/Remove Programs it brings up the Adept Installer (I opted for KDE 3.5.9 rather than KDE 4)

I then attempted to add the path to where Firefox is to the Software sources but it came up with the following error
      "The APT database could not be opened! This may be caused by incorrect APT configuration or some similar problem. Try running apt-setup and apt-get update in terminal and see if it helps to resolve the problem."
      I then had to manually edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file to remove the offending line.

Anyway that problem over.
      In the Adept Installer there is a search box.
      If I type firefox in there is comes up with no results and I can't see anywhere (apart from the unsuccessful attempt using the Edit software sources) to add in a new programme.

Thanks again
      Neil

Comment

In response to that first error message you got, I wonder if running the standard "fix" will break it loose and make it work:

Close all windows that have anything to do with installing packages, close Adept, open your Konsole, and enter
        3 commands:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        then,
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get -f install
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Mike
          Did what you suggested although I can't see how that is different from running the Fetch Updates in Adept Manager.

Then I realised that Firefox is one of the 24,798 packages available in Adept Manager.

So I asked it to download and even though I have already downloaded it, it wants to download it again.
          Sigh
          If this is the correct way to install Firefox, why doesn't it say something on the Firefox web site instead of inviting you to download a useless file?

Anyway bottom line is I now have firefox loaded

Thanks for your help
          Neil

Comment

neil: "If this is the correct way to install Firefox, why doesn't it say something on the Firefox web site instead of inviting you to download a useless file?"

Ha! Good question ... join the crowd! Ditto for Thunderbird. (One of my goose-chases had me trying it from source once.) The Add/Remove Programs is just a front for Adept Manage, and it should work, too (unless that's changed in HH). I'll be getting HH soon; thought I'd let the dust settle for a week or so first. Gives me a chance to completely clean up and re-do my Linux drive first (I have half a dozen OSs laying around and only two of them in my GRUB boot menu--the others boot manually--on partitions out of disk order, unallocated space everywhere ... a mess).

Glad you got it going!

-- Mike

Comment

Working...
            X