This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dapper Drake = ok but no wireless, Gutsy & Heron = "Random Reboot"

This post, or parts of it, have been mentioned in other posts in other parts of this forum, but I can't find the complete answer to my problem...

I've got some old hardware - old as in "Designed for Win98", running an AMD K6-2 400 MHz processor but upgraded to 256 MB RAM (the max for that motherboard). So it's old, and I'm lucky to get Dapper Drake (6.06.1) running on it in the first place. Everything runs fine after installing from the alternate install CD, believe it or not it actually runs useably quickly. The only problem is that it won't acknowledge my Linksys WUSB54GC USB wireless adapter.

Now, I've tried installing Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 and Hardy Heron 8.04 but both tend to randomly reboot the machine in various stages of loading (usually when the desktop first appears). However, these two versions pick up my Linksys USB adapter just fine - zero configuration on my part whatsoever - I just tell it what wireless network to connect to. However, it tends to reboot the machine ("it" = some rouge process or lack of system resources) before I can actually accomplish anything, such as downloading and installing updates whether running from the live CD or using the alternate install CD (for 7.10); the alternate install CD will let me install the entire system, the problems start on reboot, no doubt due to the increased graphical demands on the system.

Anyway, two questions (remember, I'm on the "Newbie Support" forum!): 1) is there a way to get the Linksys USB working under 6.06.1? I ran across some instructions but they mentioned some other wireless and wired network cards that aren't present on my system...
    2) should I just hang it up on 7.10 and 8.04 or are there updates that might make the system more stable with those two versions? I know I'm pressing my luck running them anyway on this hardware, but if it wasn't for the wireless configuration thing I'd stick with 6.06.1

Thanks for any/all help! By the way, where I'm at I've only got the 802.11 wireless internet connection available so downloading updates from a wired connection first isn't an option (a rather strange setup, I know). The laptop I'm using to post this is on an Option 3G AirCard and there's no PC Express card slot for it on the older hardware.

[By the way, for how long can I claim I'm a "Newbie"? Is there a number of posts after which I'm supposed to have caught on?!]

Re: Dapper Drake = ok but no wireless, Gutsy & Heron = "Random Reboot"

A little more info; I've noticed that Dapper Drake (6.06.1) automatically applies acpi=force whereas Gutsy (7.10) and Hardy (8.04) both tell me that the BIOS age (1999) misses the cutoff (2000) and that I should use acpi=force to enable acpi. Problem is, I'm trying to tell it to acpi=force on the command line before booting from the live CDs (i.e. "F6" for other options and adding in acpi=force to the command line, which is seemingly ignored when I proceed to boot). Of course, both the live CDs for those two versions also ignore any alternate video modes I select.

Any ideas, at all?

Comment

Working...
    X