This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]kubuntu 8.04 no internet suddenly

I have had kubuntu 8.04 installed for a few days now. Everthing has been working fine. I have been getting updates most every day. Yesterday there were updates that had some kind of error. I am not sure what the error was but nothing seemed amiss when I closed out Adept. Everthing seemed to be working fine. Today when I logged in knetworkmanager indicated that my wired network was active. But alas, I could not get to the internet when I tried to open my browser.

I am using adsl with a router/modem and a hub that connects to my two computers. The older pc is dedicated to Windows and the new one is dedicated to Linux.

When I couldn't connect to the internet in kubuntu on the Linux pc, I rebooted into mepis and the internet worked fine. I am totally lost as to how to overcome this, and would appreciate anyone that has ideas that could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    houndhen
    Harold<br />Kubuntu 8.04<br />Mepis 7.0 &amp; 8.0<br />Mint 5 KDE

Re: kubuntu 8.04 no internet suddenly

Can you post your /etc/network/interfaces file for review?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sure, see attached.

Thanks for the quick reply.
      Attached Files

Comment

Your file:
        # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
        # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        address 127.0.0.1
        netmask 255.0.0.0

# The primary network interface
        auto eth0
        #iface eth0 inet dhcp

You really only need the first two lines:
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

All the rest can be commented out. My file only contains the first two lines, and I connect to my wired connection automatically. I can click on the knetworkmanager tray icon and click on my wireless network to connect to it instead. All works as it should.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Edited the file as suggested. Still couldn't access the internet. Re-booted (old windows habit). Attached edited file.

Edited 4/22/08

Does anyone have any idea about how to get internet access back after having lost it due to an update? That is short of re-installing. The thing about re-installing is that there would be updates again. How would I know which one not to allow?

Hello! Anyone?
          Attached Files

Comment

Solved my problem, at least temporarily, by installing the Kubuntu 8.04 release version. Hope the upgrades don't mess up on this one.

Comment

Working...
            X