This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting usb device when computer running

Can anything bad happen if usb devices are connected or disconnected when computer is running? Anything else I should know about that? Thanks for any info.

Re: Connecting usb device when computer running

there shouldn't be any trouble per se, as USB is designed for hot-swapping and all that.
    however, if it is a flash drive/mp3 player or other portable drive, I suggest not unplugging the device without first right-clicking on the device's desktop icon, and selecting "safely remove'. This makes sure the device isn't reading/writing at the moment you disconnect it and minimizes the chance of data loss/corruption

Comment

While waiting on a hardware expert to give a definitive answer, I am under the impression that by definition, USB is all about being hot-pluggable, and so you can plug them in at will and at random. I have read nothing to indicate otherwise, but then I have not explicitly posed the question to any forum. I can say what I do: I do it all the time. Of course, with an external USB HDD, it will not "work" unless it is also eSATA (as supported by the motherboard), but that's a different matter.

(oops, claydoh's post came first as I was posting)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks to you both.

Comment

Linux Hotplugging:
          http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/
          (“Starting with kernel 2.4 (in January 2001), hotplugging became a standard feature of GNU/Linux. It's been backported to kernel 2.2 (for USB), and kernel 2.6 makes it available to all sysfs-adapted busses and driver classes.”)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X