Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creating partitions in Kubuntu LiveCD installer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating partitions in Kubuntu LiveCD installer.

Hey, I downloaded the LiveCD Kubuntu 7.10, and I'm at the stage of install where I create partitions, I've got the main one, and the partition for my SWAP file, but it's asking me for a root file system, can anyone instruct me on how to go about this? I've looked for instructions to no avail.

Re: Creating partitions in Kubuntu LiveCD installer.

First, and for 'easy of repair' later, you should 'backup one step' and create another partition for 'home.' So, you would have three partitions: root, home, and swap. The size of the root partition doesn't need to be over 8GB. Swap doesn't need to be greater than 1.5GB. The home partition can take up all the remaining drive space.

When you are asked where to put the root, you are being asked to 'flag' a partition for use/mounting for the root file system. This will be the smaller, none-swap partition you have created.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right, so I've got the HDD, all I need to do is partition it into 1.5gb SWAP, 8gb Root, Remaining Home.

What I need explaining is, this "Use as" ext3 etc. I don't want to mess things up, thanks.
      Can you also tell me whether to mark it as Primary/Logical and Beginning/End would be very appreciated.

Comment

How big is the HD you are setting up for Linux? Is there another OS (Windoze?) installed on it? Is this the main (primary/only) HD in you system, or a second/third, ...?

Comment

It's clean, empty, 60gb, nothing on it

Comment

Okay.

A HD can only have four primary partitions. Should one wish to create more than four partitions, then an 'extended' partition is required, within which 'logical' partitions can be created. Given the size of your HD, this is how I would set it up:

1st partition: Primary, 8GB (for root)
            2nd partition: Extended (all remaining disk space)
            3rd partition: Logical, 8GB (for second OS root)
            4th partition: Logical, 21GB (for first OS home)
            5th partition: Logical, 21GB (for second OS home)
            6th partition: Logical, 2.0GB (for swap)

This configuration allows for the installation of a second Linux OS (useful if/when one wants to test out an upgrade/new version without messing up you existing installation).

You would install the root file system on the first 8GB partition, and identify the first 25GB partition for home. Set all partitions (expect swap) as ext3.

Comment

Right, I'm all done and I'm in Kubuntu, all partitioned.

My sound and graphics are working fine, but my network isn't. And, my Kubuntu system won't pick up my memory stick through USB, any help with these would be appreciated.

Memory stick is a standard 512mb USB 2.0 stick.

Network card is: Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN MiniPCI Card

Comment

Working...
              X