This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opera and Skype won't install.

After installing Hardy, Opera and Skype refuses to install on my computer. I have downloaded both as deb files, then tried using the Gdebi- package installer, but after a while of extreme sluggishness, the installer window disappears, and the programs are nowhere to be found. Where do I look for them, and how do I get them to work?

Re: Opera and Skype won't install.

If gdebi is giving you trouble installing deb packages (might be a bug in hardy), you can alternatively use konsole to install them:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/packagename
    Of course you can use 3rd party repositories to install these packages if you prefer, skype is available from medibuntu (www.medibuntu.org) and opera is available from opera's repository (deb.opera.com)

Comment

If you enable the medibuntu repository and the partner section of the main ubuntu repo, you will find that both opera and skype can be downloaded by a simple apt-get or use of adept.

Comment

Well, it seems I do right in hanging out in the newbies-forum.... It seems I have been going about this repository business in a less than correct way. Doing some reading up and actually following instructions has solved my problem, prompted by this last post. Thank you. (I found skype earlier, using synaptic, for some reason)

Comment

Originally posted by stealthbanana
          If you enable the medibuntu repository and the partner section of the main ubuntu repo, you will find that both opera and skype can be downloaded by a simple apt-get or use of adept.
          Thanks for the tip, I just made a clean install of Hardy and I was wondering why nothing appeared when I typed "skype" in Adept..!

Comment

HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and PGP Key
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X