This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formatting a disk

I searched for these topic, but haven't found it (if it's repost please move it)
    I Have 2 disks in my computer:
    80 GB where I have my Kubuntu installed and
    160 GB (the original disk) where Wins were installed;
    I wish to format 160, but I don't know how plus I have on it Kubuntu Gutsy
    (it was meant to be master but Kubuntu didn't loaded from it)
    Any way I would like to format it in to one partition from current two
    How can that be done?
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: Formatting a disk

not sure i understood what do you want to do when you wrote "Any way I would like to format it in to one partition from current two", anyway to format you could use "qparted" as a graphical tool ( something similar as "partition magik" for windows) or comamnd line using fdisk ( to delete/create partitions), mkfs ( to format, for example in ext3 ), and then you should edit the /etc/fstab file to add a mount point.

But as i told before im not sure that you expect with this. You can create a "directory" that write in the decond disk, but this does not mean that you will have a single disk of 240GB.

if you want REALY want they work as 1 disk ( latelly splitted if you wish in more "partitions" ) you should make a hw or SW "raid 0" ( but not sure it works well with disk of different sizes ) or using LVM ( is a linux kernel supported software raid method ), but if you are not skilled in those things , its better that you dont try that, and anyway it suppose that you delete all partitions in your disks ( in other word..you have to destroy everything and reinstall ).

Comment

Best recommendation: make a GParted Live CD, ver. 0.3.4-10 from ISO downloaded from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=115843

Boot your GParted Live CD, and use that to change the partitions on the 160GB drive.

This way you do not have to figure out how to unmount your mounted drive and run a partitioning tool in your Kubuntu while it is running.

Comment

I have downloaded gparted thanks for advice.

(Just to be clear: I want to format 1 disk and not connect them into raid)

Comment

When you boot the GParted Live CD, you will find a minor challenge selecting the best video display mode. Not knowing your video card, "VESA" is a pretty safe choice, and/or you can play with the others and see if any of them provides a better screen display. Since it is just a CD and not on the hard drive, you can just hit the reset button on your computer if you don't like what you see, in this phase of your adventure (don't do that while partitioning, of course).

Once you have GParted running in a satisfactory video mode, you will see a "hdx" or "sdx" hard drive selected in the upper right corner of the GUI, in a drop-down window. It should be obvious from the size and partitioning shown which drive was first selected. But you can verify by clicking the little arrow by the window and selecting the other drive.

With the 160GB drive selected, it sounds like what you want to do is delete a partition and make it one large partition. If that is correct, then you will highlight the bottom partition on the list, right-click on it and choose "delete", or you can use the graphic in the top of the window and do the operation that way, using the menu. It's pretty intuitive. The only thing that is not intuitive is that nothing actually happens .... UNTIL you click the "Apply" button on the top menu. When you choose an action, that action appears on a list in the lower part of the GUI, and then that list is actually executed when you click "Apply". So, for example your actions might be (a) delete the second partition, (b) increase the size of the remaining partition to fill the entire drive, (c) to format the drive ext3, and (d) remove the boot flag. These actions will be shown, but nothing will happen until you click "Apply" and confirm that you mean to nuke everything that previously existed on that hard drive.

Comment

Thanks already done it.
            Now my problem is how to put this disk in to a good use...

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz

Now my problem is how to put this disk in to a good use...
              Good job!

OK, here are my top 3 ideas:

1. Install Kubuntu 8.04 Beta and KDE4 on it.

2. Use it to teach yourself how to build a LAMP server (and then tell me )

3. Download a big video file and then teach yourself video editing with Kdenlive (and then teach me how you did it )

Seriously, you've done a good job with GParted -- that is the hardest part for a lot of folks.

Comment

I already have Hardy so I think i'll go with option no. 3
                I just hope it's as easy as adobe premiere professional

Comment

Trying to install Kdenlive, but I get error: lbmlt++0.2.3 is missing
                  I installed lbmlt 0.2.5 but i guess it's not the same how can I install lbmlt++ synaptic doesn't find it.

Comment

2. Use it to teach yourself how to build a LAMP server (and then tell me Grin )
                    $ sudo tasksel

IndyTim

Comment

Working...
                    X