This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to KDE4

I have successfully upgraded / installed KDE 4 on Kubuntu Hardy, but I'm a bit confused about a lot of stuff.
    First of all: When I click on about KDE it still says that it is KDE 3.5.9 and not 4
    Secondly: I have now have two Konquerors; 2 Konsoles; etc. (one is original other is KDE 4)
    Thirdly: I can't add more than 2 desktops; why?

For information: I upgraded with adept
    I also installed KDE4 with adept
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: Upgrade to KDE4

What package(s) for kde4 did you install via Adept??
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Probably you are still logging into KDE3. On the "greeter" screen, where you log in, you need to click the little icon that looks like a piece of paper, and click "session" and then choose KDE4 off the list.

Also, check and see if the package kdm-kde4 was installed. That runs the KDE4 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Probably you are still logging into KDE3. On the "greeter" screen, where you log in, you need to click the little icon that looks like a piece of paper, and click "session" and then choose KDE4 off the list.

Also, check and see if the package kdm-kde4 was installed. That runs the KDE4 desktop.
        Yes this was really the case. Now it works fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz

Cool!

Hah hah hah -- I just read your avatar -- cute!

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz

Cool!

Hah hah hah -- I just read your avatar -- cute!
            Thanks
            Well I have another problem
            I managed to lose my "start menu" can anyone help me to get it back??

Comment

The blue "K" is lost?

If KDE4, I think you can click the gold "widget" thing in the upper right corner, and choose "Add Widgets", and I think it is a widget called "Application Launcher"

Comment

Jeee,

se nekdo iz drzavice na soncni strani Alp

I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

The blue "K" is lost?

If KDE4, I think you can click the gold "widget" thing in the upper right corner, and choose "Add Widgets", and I think it is a widget called "Application Launcher"
                  I have done that already, but it I get desktop widget, and I cannot put it on the "tray", and even more this widget does not have The big blue letter K
                  OK now I have got it back (by pure chance... )
                  But now its on the right side and not on the left well I'll try to fix that also.
                  Sorry for all this annoying questions about stupid problems of mine
                  I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxgirl

Jeee,

se nekdo iz drzavice na soncni strani Alp

Ja sam delam sam neunosti na Kbuntuju...

Comment

But now its on the right side and not on the left well I'll try to fix that also.
                      If you right click on the panel and choose "add miniprogram" it will go to the right side.
                      Use the widget loader (upper right corner) and drag / drop it to any where on your panel.

Welcome to kde4
                      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                        If you right click on the panel and choose "add miniprogram" it will go to the right side.
                        Use the widget loader (upper right corner) and drag / drop it to any where on your panel.

Welcome to kde4
                        Do I have to click on certain place on panel, because if i click only thing I get is panel settings (I also get application launcher settings, task manager, etc) but no add mini program
                        _______
                        Why can't add additional desktops? Is this because KDE 4 is still in development?
                        And while things are loading to start there "was" bouncing icon on bottom of cursor but now it's just gray blob bouncing around. Is this normal (in KDE 3.5.9 works fine)
                        How far in development is KDE 4, will trash come soon or not??

Comment

Do I have to click on certain place on panel, because if i click only thing I get is panel settings
                          It should be there. Hmmm... do you have extragears installed?

Either way that will put anything to the right hand side. You have to drag and drop to the panel if you don't want it on the right side. There is no way to move panel widgets (yet).

Why can't add additional desktops? Is this because KDE 4 is still in development?
                          As for the desktops: right click on the desktop viewer and choose edit desktops (or something mine is in german). You will be able to add desktops.

And while things are loading to start there "was" bouncing icon on bottom of cursor but now it's just gray blob bouncing around. Is this normal (in KDE 3.5.9 works fine)
                          For your bouncing icon check in system settings->Desktop->startupnotifications (again mine is in german).
                          How far in development is KDE 4, will trash come soon or not??
                          kde4 is in version .03 right now meaning it is only three months old. The versions will be updated every month until the first "stable" release sometime in june/july.

I don't know when "trash" will "come".

Edit: If you don't have kubuntu-kde4-desktop you might want to install that as well
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Do I have to click on certain place on panel, because if i click only thing I get is panel settings
                            It should be there. Hmmm... do you have extragears installed?
                            not that I would know where I can check?

As for the desktops: right click on the desktop viewer and choose edit desktops (or something mine is in german). You will be able to add desktops.
                            I tried that before I tried it now it doesn't work i don't know why... (if I name desktops the names are there, but they are gray if I increase number of desktops so that they cover the names again nothing happens if i reset nothing happens...

Edit: If you don't have kubuntu-kde4-desktop you might want to install that as well
                            Where can I down load this?

Is it possible to revert to original settings or do I have to reinstall
                            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3092206.0 is this all that I need to Know for uninstalling so that I can then reinstall?

Comment

Well I completely reinstall KDE4. But some of previous settings are still here.
                              I don't mid that a lot but one is giving me all the trouble, and because of it i decided to totally reinstall
                              KDE 4.
                              EDIT: Resolved by reinstalling whole Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                              X