This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over, Internet connectivity

OK, I gave it my best and now I will try to Start Fresh, I re-installed (clean) and now this is what shows up in "ifconfig", "route",
    Attached Files

Re: Starting over, Internet connectivity

So what problem are you having?
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

No connection, Base address dead, not sure if it is hardware or software

Comment

Type the following two commands separately in konsole:

Code:
        ping 192.168.0.1
        and
        Code:
        ping [url]www.yahoo.com[/url]
        Which one gives you any failed or error messages?
        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

ping 192.168.0.1 returns unknown host

ping www.yahoo.com returns unknown host

seems like the eth0 not connected, If I look in Knetmanager it says no adapter installed When I go to manual config it says its up and running and when I go through dev manager it says it pings good?

Comment

your eth0 is up but i think your gateway is misconfigured. i dont see the default router ....

in command line use " ip route". i have something like:
            ################################################
            10.212.149.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 10.212.149.28
            default via 10.212.149.254 dev eth0 <<-- here you should have "192.168.0.1"
            default via 10.212.149.254 dev eth0 metric 100 <<-- here you should have "192.168.0.1"
            ################################################

Supposing that you have a router with ip 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. follow those steps:

dont use knetwork manager. Use "Network conenctions" -> "Administrator mode" -> eth0 -> "configure interface".
            What do you se there?
            DHCP or is manual configuration?

If its manual be sure you set advanced settings and insert your gateway ( 192.168.0.1 ). If you are using dhcp ( mean that your router works as dhcp server. you should do nothing)

Comment

Sorry about that. The first was my mistake. Your router's IP address is the gateway and that should be 19.168.1.0 from the screenshot you gave. As ghillian suggested, change the numbers but instead of 192.168.0.1 put in 192.168.1.0

If that doesn't work, then there's another method I'll suggest but that's only if it doesn't work which involves editing your network interface file.

By the way, do use DHCP or a static ip? (DHCP is where the router assigns you a dynamic ip address. Static Ip's doesn't change).

Comment

Well tried both Static and DHCP, but I did not reboot between them.
                Attached Files

Comment

I'm currently at work and we use Windows at work. However, you'd have to reboot or restart the network daemon when you make any change to it. So, you'd notice no real change unless either was performed. I'll make a more detailed post when I get home.

Comment

Thanks, I have tried both ways and booted between not just restart. I still don't get to any of the pages that I try.

Comment

Originally posted by rodh

ping 192.168.0.1 returns unknown host

ping www.yahoo.com returns unknown host

seems like the eth0 not connected, If I look in Knetmanager it says no adapter installed When I go to manual config it says its up and running and when I go through dev manager it says it pings good?
                      Euh - no. This is: resolver not working. Means - your DNS Server is not reachable. What is your "router"'s IP ? Ping it and check for it's availability.

Then - check the file /etc/resolv.conf - it should have a line starting with "nameserver <IP_Address>"
                      Ping the ip-address for testing. If you can't reach it - make sure the NAmeserver get's corrected, or the admin gives you access to it - e.g. open port udp 53 for your system.
                      one of the old ones ...

Comment

Originally posted by Princey
                        Sorry about that. The first was my mistake. Your router's IP address is the gateway and that should be 19.168.1.0 from the screenshot you gave. As ghillian suggested, change the numbers but instead of 192.168.0.1 put in 192.168.1.0

If that doesn't work, then there's another method I'll suggest but that's only if it doesn't work which involves editing your network interface file.

By the way, do use DHCP or a static ip? (DHCP is where the router assigns you a dynamic ip address. Static Ip's doesn't change).
                        Folks - the network-address of a /24 (e.g. 255.255.255.0 - Class C Network) Network is always xxx.xxx.xxx.0 - so this address won't work anyway if not used as network address...

Or eventually - it will make strange things ...
                        one of the old ones ...

Comment

sudo /etc/network/resolv.conf

[color=blue][/quote]sudo /etc/resolve.conf <-------I get command not found.
                          the computer goes online just finEuh - no.

This is: resolver not working. Means - your DNS Server is not reachable. What is your "router"'s IP ? Ping it and check for it's availability.

Then - check the file /etc/resolv.conf - it should have a line starting with "nameserver <IP_Address>"
                          Ping the ip-address for testing. If you can't reach it - make sure the NAmeserver get's corrected, or the admin gives you access to it - e.g. open port udp 53 for your system.e with XP
                          Do you think that a new PCI Ethernet card would fix anything?

Comment

how to open udp port 53 in XP?

Comment

Originally posted by rodh
                              sudo /etc/network/resolv.conf

[color=blue]
                              sudo /etc/resolve.conf <-------I get command not found.
                              the computer goes online just finEuh - no.

This is: resolver not working. Means - your DNS Server is not reachable. What is your "router"'s IP ? Ping it and check for it's availability.

Ping the ip-address for testing. If you can't reach it - make sure the NAmeserver get's corrected, or the admin gives you access to it - e.g. open port udp 53 for your system.e with XP
                              Do you think that a new PCI Ethernet card would fix anything?
                              [/quote]
                              Sorry for the late replay - I was offline some days now ...

Well - open the file with: cat /etc/resolv.conf
                              You'll see what's in there and can check if a Nameserver is entered.

one of the old ones ...

Comment

Working...
                              X