X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compro Videomate x500 TV Card with Kubuntu 7.10

Hi there,

I can't seem to get my Compro Videomate x500 TV Card to work with any TV application in Kubuntu 7.10?

I have another older machine with genius TV card also running Kubuntu 7.10 and it works fine there using TVtime.

When I right click there is a "channel management" setting on older machine that other PC does not show??

Which TV application can you recommend?

Re: Compro Videomate x500 TV Card with Kubuntu 7.10

First: does your system recognise the card?
    - Is there a /dev/video0 device?
    - Can you post the output of "lspci | grep Multimedia"?
    -- The command "lspci" lists the hardware detected on your PCI bus (hence: ls+pci)

Second, has your system loaded the right kernel modules (read: drivers)?
    The output of "lsmod | grep cx" should list a few modules along the lines of cx8800, cx88xx... (Yep, lsmod lists loaded kernel modules.)

If not, try doing a "sudo modprobe cx88xx" to load the cx88xx module (which may or may not be the right one), and checking the output of "dmesg" for any mention of the card.

Third, if all of the above is there - I have no experience using TVtime, nor of analogue TV cards, but the pick of the crop for PVR/TV software has to be MythTV. A bit of a pain to set up but well worth it. I don't know if Kaffeine has support for TV cards (it does for DVB); VLC certainly does but you need to manually specify tuning parameters.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi James,

Thks for the reply. It seems the card is detected, when I go to "KInfoCentre" and click on "PCI" it gives the following.

00:0c.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
      Subsystem: Compro Technology, Inc. Unknown device e000
      Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
      Memory at e3000000 (32-bit, non prefetchable) [size=16M]
      Capabilities: <access denied>

Sorry but I am a newbie and do not understand the "Ispci" suggestion, where do I need to go ?? When I type into console it gives a "command not found"??

Same goes for "sudo modprobe cx88xx"

Comment

when in a console, ensure that (for the two commands JamesM provided) you are not quoting the commands. In the console you would type:
        Code:
        lspci
        sudo lsmod | grep cx
        I wouldn't be loading any kernel modules just yet (that's what the sudo modprobe module_name does).

Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Snowhog.
          Got it.. When I type lspci I get all sorts of stuff but nothing referring to video0. But I get the following.

00:0c.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
          00:0c.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)

Is this what I am supposed to be lloking for?

Comment

Yes. Now, following what JamesM noted, run this command in the console:
            Code:
            sudo lsmod | grep cx
            to find out if any modules matching cx* are installed in your kernel.

Comment

Is this one command or two split by the line in the middle?

Comment

sudo lsmod is one command. The | is a 'pipe' symbol ( shift+\ ). grep cx is the second command. The pipe symbol tells the shell to take the output of the first command and use it as input for the second command, in this case, grep. grep takes the output of sudo lsmod and 'filters it' looking for lines containing the filter expression cx and displaying only those lines - if they exist.

Comment

Got it... Pipe? Never heard of it before tonight. This is what I get.

x88_alsa 14600 1
                  cx8800 34944 0
                  cx88xx 68132 2 cx88_alsa,cx8800
                  ir_common 35460 1 cx88xx
                  i2c_algo_bit 7428 1 cx88xx
                  tveeprom 16784 1 cx88xx
                  video_buf 26244 3 cx88_alsa,cx8800,cx88xx
                  videodev 29312 2 cx8800,cx88xx
                  compat_ioctl32 2304 1 cx8800
                  v4l2_common 18432 4 tuner,cx8800,cx88xx,videodev
                  snd_pcm 80388 5 snd_ca0106,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,cx88_alsa,s nd_pcm_oss
                  btcx_risc 5896 3 cx88_alsa,cx8800,cx88xx
                  i2c_core 26112 5 tuner,cx88xx,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_sis96x
                  snd 54660 20 snd_ca0106,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss ,snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,cx88_alsa,snd_pcm_oss, snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_time r,snd_seq_device

Comment

No more help?

Comment

Working...
                    X