This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made the switch

Hey everyone well I think that I am now finally sold. I first installed Kubuntu on my work laptop last weekend and I've just enjoyed it so much at work that I took vista off of my desktop and hooked it up with kubuntu as well. I will have to install vista again here soon but I'll dual boot it though. I still need access to my NVRaid5 and I don't want to redo the raid so I'll use windows to gain access to those files. But just wanted to let everyone know that I'm sold.
    Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Re: I made the switch

Great to hear that and welcome to the (K)ubuntu family and Linux by extention and welcome to the Kubuntu forums as well. We're glad to have you here. Let the fun begin!!!
    Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04

Comment

I've been running Linux for years, but only after Kubuntu did it really start taking off here at my house. I started with my own computer (an HP pavillion). From there, it made it to my wife's computer (a Dell), where she dual boots, but has come to use Linux far more than Windows. And just today, we converted over my wife's laptop (an IBM thinkpad) -- no dual boot at all, she asked me to Kubuntu the whole thing!

Three successful installs, so far (Kubuntu 7.10) on three different models from three different times with widely varying specs (the Thinkpad is a hotrod, but ran like a clunker under Windows). So welcome to the community -- and don't forget you can bring along some friends ;-)
      Jamendo | Wordpress | Dandelife | ccMixter | Csound

Comment

Thanks for the great welcome. I'm trying to get the others at work to make the switch. Most of us have laptops and for what we do we usually just remote into a server at work and do all of our work on that so as long as we can RDP then we could basically have whatever we want on our workstations.

Comment

Cool !! I made the switch December 07 , due to frustrations experienced with Vista >. Have migrated 2 desktops & 1 laptop to Kubuntu and has helped 4 friends make the switch .
          I am still learning a lot and was really impressed by the online support.

Comment

Yep! I've just convinced my sister to try it. She hated Vista. Showed her how Kubuntu worked on a laptop that we both have in common. She saw how much faster it operated. Then I showed her Compiz and how little strain it caused. Was really impressed and took home a LiveCD! Have many others in this house and others converted. Kubuntu, IMHO, is simply the best!

Comment

I'm working on convincing the wife to let me do it to her computer but she's fighting me off. I figure if I keep pursuing it I'll eventually break her down. I mean the only thing she does is check e-mail and play games however I don't think that I could convince her that Pidgin is better than Yahoo since I've yet to see a webcam work with Pidgin (before you go thinking anything, her parents like to see their grandson ) any who, my current main concentration is at work I just got moved back into IT so I'm trying to get my IT Manager to let me install it on one of our servers. We currently have a HP DL380 that handles our VM's like a champ and I think that it'll do an even better job with a no GUI OS . BTW upgraded to KDE4 today. It looks nice but there are some minor things for me.
              1. Can't hide the panel
              2. Can't change the time format
              Other than that I do like where KDE is headed.

Comment

My 76-year old mother in-law has been using Kubuntu for a year. She had never used a computer before -- father in-law wouldn't have one in the house. After he passed, she wanted to have e-mail and Internet and games.

Here's the key -- I didn't need to "un-teach" her any Windows stuff. That made it easy. She has Firefox, AOL mail via the HTML interface, and Kubuntu games. I originally installed Feisty, but when I was there for Thanksgiving I upgraded it to Gutsy. There have been very few problems -- mouse-clicking was a bit of a challenge for her, and the panel has migrated around the sides of the screen, but no breakages in 12 months.

It's harder when people think they "know" something from a Windows experience. That stuff they "know" can be a problem, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  It's harder when people think they "know" something from a Windows experience. That stuff they "know" can be a problem, in my experience.
                  A truer statement has never been uttered!

IMO, there are two kinds of Windoze users - sheep and rams. The sheep, having become accustomed to the taste of their fare, just want to continue to graze in the pasture they've always known. The rams however, are aware of the fare they have been dining upon, and realize that it is after all, just grass. And, they look towards the fence that surrounds them, and see that the grass extends beyond the confines of their enclosure. The rams wonder if the grass is better on the other side. The rams decide to try out the grass 'on the other side' of the fence. Not all find it any better than what they've become used to. But some, finding it better, decide to graze on this side of the fence, and soon come to the realization that, on this side, there is no fence keeping them in any more.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Originally posted by dibl
                    A truer statement has never been uttered!

IMO, there are two kinds of Windoze users - sheep and rams. The sheep, having become accustomed to the taste of their fare, just want to continue to graze in the pasture they've always known. The rams however, are aware of the fare they have been dining upon, and realize that it is after all, just grass. And, they look towards the fence that surrounds them, and see that the grass extends beyond the confines of their enclosure. The rams wonder if the grass is better on the other side. The rams decide to try out the grass 'on the other side' of the fence. Not all find it any better than what they've become used to. But some, finding it better, decide to graze on this side of the fence, and soon come to the realization that, on this side, there is no fence keeping them in any more.
                    Oh how true, true, true. Not necessarily greener (well, maybe a little ), but free, free, free!

Comment

This thread reminds me of a "How To" I was thinking about writing a while ago. The working title is "Facts to forget, that you learned from Windows". Stuff like "you can tell the file type from the 3-digit extension on the name" and "you have to defrag the hard drive or your computer will slow down" and "there is a certain place where programs are installed" and "you can just copy an .exe file to the desktop and then run it from there" and all of that.

Whaddaya think -- would it be helpful to do that?

What are your favorite bogus "facts" that people believe are applicable to all computer systems?

Comment

lol dibl, I think they're more "myths" than bogus facts. Why not start a thread and see how much input you can get from the community? My favourite is you can just copy the MS Word folder to a CD so I can get to use Word to.
                        Challenges are what that keeps us from the borderline of boredom in life's journey. Linux user no. 419401 currently running Kubuntu 24.04
                        Current System: Beelink Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 8 Core(Up to 4.4GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM 1TB NVME M.2 SSD, SER5 MAX Mini Desktop Computer with TCL BeyondTV5 serving as my monitor. ​

Comment

Working...
                        X