This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless

I'm using Kubuntu Fiesty, and I'm trying to connect to the wireless network at my college. I have a broadcom card, and installed the fwcutter package. I can connect to the network at my house, but not at school. The school provides setup instructions for windows and Mac OSX which can be found here: http://www.calvin.edu/it/services/wireless/pcsetup.htm
    http://www.calvin.edu/it/services/wireless/macsetup.htm

I have a dual boot with WinXP so that I can connect to wireless,and I can connect with the same hardware. This is an Acer Aspire 5000. Any help would be great. Thanks

-Josh Orndorff

Re: Wireless

Ok, first things first:

Do you use Knetworkmanager? And does it "see" the wireless network at your college?If it does, you might want to try typing the required data in Knetworkmanager and see if it connects ( click the name of the network (ESSID), e.g. airCalvin and proceed with adding other information)
    My university uses a similar thing called "Eduroam" but they do provide information for Linux users.
    But first you might want to go to the CIT HelpDesk I noticed you have on your college, maybe someone there can point you in the right direction.

hth,

LG
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Comment

Re: Wireless

Thanks for the reply Linux Girl!

I do use KNetworkManager, and it does recognize airCalvin. It shows it as a secured network (which it is) and when I try to connect by just clicking on the network name, it doesn't connect. When I try to enter information manually it requires a WEP key which I don't have. The windows setup instructions say to check "the WEP key is provided for me" I wondered if there was anything like that that I could use.

I will contact the help desk as well. They don't officially support linux, but maybe someone there knows how to help anyway.

Thanks again. Any more insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Josh

Comment

Working...
      X