Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error 15: File not found - and nothing will boot.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error 15: File not found - and nothing will boot.

I finally succeded with my first ever installation of Linux. My Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD finally worked, and I rebooted, and everything seemed good. I then started the updating process, which ran for along time and seemed to work, but in the end it couldn't upgrade to a new release that it suggested, because some other program had the files locked. All other programmes seemed to work fine, so I decided to reboot. And now this. Error 15: File not found. And none of the boot options wil give me any other result. I have these options:

Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu 7.10, memtest86+

memtest will start running, but I had it running once for a long time, and I don't see what it does. I am not that technically competent.

The two first options just give me: Error 15: File not found -- Press any key to continue. . .

Which gives me the three before mentioned optins again.

What can I do to get back on track?

Re: Error 15: File not found - and nothing will boot.

Check out the part about Error 15 here:
    How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

If you search here, you will find a thread that deals with Error 15 after updating.
    Error 15 can come from many sources. It can also come after recent updates to Gutsy: afterwards, some people find that they have no /boot/initrd.img-etc-generic file, only a backup file called /boot/initrd.img-etc-genreic.bak. This is covered in that link I gave you. please post any questions back here again. Unfortunately, I may be out tonight, but I believe it's all there, or in another post here (search), and/or several guys know this stuff very well. If the problem is with a missing initrd.img-generic file, this was not your fault at all—I think it's a bug somewhere, although I have not seen it reported as such (it happened to me once after a Gutsy update, about a month or so ago; I just renamed my .bak file, as explained in the link, but you really should chroot and run initrafs-update).

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X