This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting to graffics

ok so ive tried installing kubuntu 5.10 i386 and the 64 bit version... both times get through the setup and it asks me to login and all. but then i just get a command line. how do i get to my kde/ graffical interface?? (obviously im brand new to linux so please be as detailed as possible)
    -s

Re: getting to graffics

There seems to be something the matter with the way your graphics system is set up by the installer. Login at the command line and type "startx". Either it will start and we can see why it doesn't start automatically, or it will fail. If it fails it will give an error message. Copy that down and post it here.

Comment

so the above happens when i install for the first time. when i turn off or restart from there and try to boot back up i keep getting stuck.. the last line says checking battery state. this was true of 64 bit as well.

Comment

Try adding a line at he start of the boot that says "noapci" That should stop it from checking the battery.

Comment

ok the main error(there is a whole page of stuff) says fatal server error: no screens found

Please consult the TheX.org Foundation support

please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional info

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaing

Comment

Okay, there's something wrong with your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file! That should be fixable. First you have to find some information about your monitor. You need to learn the minimum and (more important) the maximum values of the horizontal frequency (in kHz) and the vertical refresh rate (in Hz).

The problem is that a fresh install sets these values very conseervatively, but if you have a flat panel that has a lot of pixels, the horizontal frequency needed to change all those pixels as often as needed for the vertical refresh rate in 24 bit color can exceed the conservative values that are set in the initial install. So you have to fix them. In windows you don't have to do this because M$ has gotten the information from all the monitor manufacturers without even asking. There aren't enough Linux users yet for the manufacturers to think it's worthwhile to pass these along to Linux.

If you have a laptop, you have to get the information from the manufacturer's website. This might be easy or it might not. another place to look is on the Linux laptops sites. There are at least two. For a desktop, it's easy, The information is usually in the back of the user's manual. If not, just go to the monitor manufacturer's website with the model number of your monitor.

When you get the information, you have to run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" from a console login. If that fails you can change the information yourself by editling the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf with a console editor called nano. If you have to do that come back here and I or someone else will walk you through it. I'm going to bed soon.

Comment

Working...
            X