X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox closing down while browsing

Hi all,

I have a small problem with Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7..most times it works fine, but on some pages i go to, it just closes down on me. Any advice to fix this problem?

This showed up at crash:

The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)'.
    (Details: serial 365 error_code 168 request_code 146 minor_code 2)
    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

Thanks,
    Paul.

Re: Firefox closing down while browsing

I get this too, but a lot less often with firefox 1.5.0.1. I've been able to restart firefox and browse to the offending page and all is well. Don't know what's up, but upgrading to 1.5 made it a lot less frequent.

Comment

https://wiki.kubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Try this.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

GF's computer is getting this real bad. Almost any site that has Flash will just close FF or lock it up. I've reinstalled the flash package and redid her profile. Tried it with no extensions. Still same trouble. Shes using Kubuntu 6.06 with FF 1.5.0.5

Any other suggestions on things to try? I'm getting something thrown at me every time it happens! Well almost every time.

Hers is a PIII 1.1ghz with 512mb ram and a Matrox vid card. Nothing too fancy or out of the ordinary. Kicker is that with the same software on my laptop (Acer 3004) it works just fine.

(Gecko:5354): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
          NP_Initialize
          New
          SetWindow
          SetWindow
          SetWindow
          Destroy
          The program 'Gecko' received an X Window System error.
          This probably reflects a bug in the program.
          The error was 'BadShmSeg (invalid shared segment parameter)'.
          (Details: serial 31 error_code 167 request_code 144 minor_code 2)
          (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
          that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
          To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
          option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
          backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
          https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

Well, I wouldn't say it's a total "FIX" but here's what I did and so far it's working ... better than before. No crashes yet at least.

Used Adept to remove libflash-mozplugin.

Opened firefox, went to some pages that had flash, obvisouly the flash didn't load but the more important part is that FF didn't crash. Closed FF.

Used Adept to install flashplugin-nonfree. This caused gsfonts-x11 to be installed with it. I had to select show details while it was installing, I choose NO the the prompt that it had. It finished fine.

Opened firefox, no flash. Checked aboutlugsins and it wasn't there.

Decided to go right to macromedia.com and download the installer from there.

Downloaded, unpacked and followed the simple instructions to install the plugin to the Firefox dir.

Opened firefox and checked aboutlugins. It's there! Goto some non-flash pages, works fine. Goto some flash pages and it also works fine. Was able to watch a few vids on YouTube and various other shopping sites that had little bits of flash here and there.

Cliffs: removed libflash-mozplugin, installed gsfonts-x11, got the flash 7 installer from macromedia.com and installed it following the included instructions. Works. So far. For now.... :P

I don't know why this pc needed that one vs libflash-mozplugin. That package works fine on my laptop without anything fancy. Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone else that might see the problem.

This has, at least for now, stopped the things from being thrown at me.

Comment

Just to note again, I just installed another Kubuntu system last night and it had this same problem.

I removed the Ubuntu packages related to flash and went to www.adobe.com and downloaded their installer.

Unpacked it.
              Ran it, (just hit enter through it)
              Started firefox and have been fine since.

I don't know why, but the Ubuntu Flash packages on my laptop works perfectly fine. But these 2 desktops, don't.

Hopefully Flash 9 will make it out and won't have these problems.... and/or Kubuntu 6.10 will have a better soultion.

Comment

Working...
              X