This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 7 Live CD installation dies after two minutes

I first installed Kubuntu 8.04 beta from a Live CD, went well, but it couldn't run the updates, so I decided I was to much of a newbie to experiment with a beta version.

Then I booted on a Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD, which works fine, but after answering the questions in the installation program, it starts scanning the Hard disk, and 15% into one of these scanning procedures (sorry I didn't note which one) it stops, does nothing for aminute, and the just shuts down the Installer, completely and with no message.

When trying manually to delete the partitions, hoping it will help, I choose "Administrators mode" and after a little wait I get this:

Re: Kubuntu 7 Live CD installation dies after two minutes

Comment

This time I post a link to the picture of the screen with the above mentioned error message. I hope it works better.

http://picasaweb.google.dk/JesperMil...87970220363138

Comment

The first thing to do in this situation is to be very suspicious of the CD ROM.

1. Did you check the ISO image file md5sum and verify the match to the download site?

2. Burn the Live CD at 4X speed -- this is necessary because of the encoding/compression that is used.

3. Run the "Check CD for defects" routine from the boot menu of the CD.

4. Burn another one, following the above protocols, and see if it replicates the original problem.

Comment

Hi dibl.

Thanks for your quick answer.

1. I have not checked and verified the md5sum, I don't quite know what it means. But I just looked up the md5sum.txt file on the live CD I burned in my windows XP, and compared i to the one I have found on the website, I believe I used for download. The latter is found here: http://mirror.u-soft.dk/ubuntu-relea.../gutsy/MD5SUMS and contains four lines of text. The former, the one on my homemade Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD has appr. 250 lines. The download site md5sum file looks like this:

291164aa0ec63e5609ebf66c4cb5cecb *kubuntu-7.10-alternate-amd64.iso
          2d7bd8c5883975ca7fb99c3be7b0474a *kubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso
          e8be8cac09a87d47ff60c5f41ef6554d *kubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64.iso
          ae9b209fe4b9caf545fa2011631de797 *kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso

and the first ine in the Live CD md5sum file is this:

e58c96a1d3caf5a2446cc46adc3b0ab6 ./casper/filesystem.manifest
          85f1c14efa9f725b680bf6e242e745d4

Is that useful?

2. I will soon.

3. Have done, no errors!

4. same as 2.

Comment

If you have downloaded the 7.10 Live CD for i386 (NOT the 64-bit) then this is the md5sum, taken from your list on the download website:

Originally posted by JesperMilling

ae9b209fe4b9caf545fa2011631de797 *kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso
            So, when you have the downloaded ISO file on your PC, and before you burn it to a CD, you need to run a md5sum check on the file itself. There are a variety of free utilities to do that -- you can choose any of them. The md5sum on the downloaded file must be the same as the one listed on the website -- this is how you know that you have an error-free download.

Comment

I downloaded md5summer, and the checksum calculated was identical to the one I found at the downloadsite.

I also burned a new Kubuntu 7.10 Live CD, from the ISO file I checked, and it runs Kubuntu 7 a lot slower, and in the first boot up it did not support the touchpad well enough to be able to select a language for installation. In the second bootup, it is also slow, but now (this second) I can select language. When I clcik "Next" nothing happens but I will just wait and see if it, well as I arite the button moves down, and the "please wait" symbol starts to spin. So I will be patient and see if it installs after all. Even though obviously something isn't right here.

Is there anything else but md5sum check, 4X burning, and CD check at startup, I can do? It is really slow now, still hasn't shown the next screen.

Thanks on beforehand.

Comment

Yes. When you are 100% certain that the Live CD is a good one, on the menu that first appears, you can press F4 and choose "safe graphics". If you still have problems, you can also choose F6 and mark the power saving features to be disabled.

Comment

Thanks! I already saw that tip in another thread you are helping right now, and I booted in the "Safe Graphics mode" I can select at startup (for 30 seconds) I hope this is the same as pressing F4. It has helped, it runs better now, but not as good as when it originally was an XP machine. (now it has a Kubuntu 8.04 on the HDD). But it is now formatting the partitions made by the previous Kubuntu 8.04 installation (that I have abandoned because of not being able to run the updates). And by gully, now it is installing too. So the original problem of this thread has been overcome.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
                  X